585,749 active members*
4,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3d Object Digitizing

Looking for anyone that has something they need digitized. My work envelope is 12" x 8". Limited to 2.375 in Z. Resolution from .200 down to .002! I believe the max error is +/-.002. Can't seem to find that spec now though.

This is great for 3d relief stuff. Would also work great for anything with a constantly changing surface. One thing that just came to mind, are emblems on bottles and such. The scanner is sensitve enough that I think it would even to digitize a freshly chewed piece of gum! So any material would work.

Here are a few links to a couple items I have done just to see how well it would/could work.

A small um...I'm not even sure what it is, or where it came from. Basically a 3d bust, and a state quarter.

This is a screenshot from the digitizer software of the bust.

This is a picture of the little whatever it is next to a quarter to show the physical size.

This is a screenshot of a US State Quarter. Top view.

This is a screenshot of a US State Quarter. ISO view.

For both items, the resolution was set at .002. Each item took about 10hrs to digitize. I'm not really sure about the time, cause I let it go while I was sleeping.

The programs proprietary file format can be imported to Rhino with a free plugin. I just got to find where I downloaded it from.

For the quarter, there were 190528 points. The bust, 227856. The main reason there are more points on the smaller bust item, is that I didn't have the scan size set up right.

If you don't have Rhino, don't fret. The scanning software can export to .DFX, .VRML, .STL, .3DMF, .IGES, .BMP, GRAYSCALE or point file (comma, space or tab seperated). The files with the smaller resolution can be a bit of a problem to work with if you don't have a computer that can handle it. I use a P4 2.2 with 512RAM and it takes a while to do some commands on these files. I'm sure more RAM would solve this.

Price is dependant on object (and always negotiable). But a few things to keep in mind. My scanner only scans in Z direction. If you need both sides of something scanned, you will recieve 2 files. As matching the 2 surfaces and joining them in another program is a pain and something I'd rather not do.

If you would like the files I posted screenshots of, just let me know. I will export them to whatever format you need (listed above) so you can see the detail of the scans.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Thanks for sharing:

I am interested in having a setup (scanner & software) as was shown in the above photos.

Type of scanner etc.

I have designed a touch probe which I am building, but from my past experience your scans look as if they were made by solid state lazer scanning.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Jerry

Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Dustin you have my permission to post the project you are doing for me so folks can see an actual job you are doing....that is if you want to.
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Turmite

I really do believe in the signature that you have on your threads.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Thanks Mike.

Here is a shot of the palm side of a pistol grip. It was digitized with the scanner, and then I had to do quite a bit of work on it. The original is wood. And the scanner actually was taking points from the grain of the wood in some places. So I ended up with a model that needed smoothed. (as scanned )

The bottom side (which can't be seen) was all done by hand (calipers, depth mic., etc).

Fortunately for Mike, I had no idea the time and headache these would involve, so he got a pretty good deal on them. But now that I've got an idea of how to manipulate the data the scanner puts out, it's not so bad.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Dab, can you do a rotary part such as a knight in a chess set? I am having a hard time finding a 3d image of one. I can get one for about $50 from 3dcafe which I might end up doing.

Jon

Unfortunately not.

It would be possible to do it in probably 3 or 4 different scans. But the time and effort to put the 3 scans together wouldn't be worth it.

Now that you mention it, I should look into making some sort of rotary fixture for this. it would still have to be pieced together, but would make it alot easier. If I was daring enough, I would dig into the software/hardware of this, and see if adding an extra axis would be an option.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB_Design
    Fortunately for Mike, I had no idea the time and headache these would involve, so he got a pretty good deal on them. But now that I've got an idea of how to manipulate the data the scanner puts out, it's not so bad.
    Dustin the guinea pig is always fortunate!

Actually I will confess to taking Dustin up on a generous offer some time back and that has proved to be a Godsend for me. With Dustin doing most of my modeling and cam programs I actually have time to get into the shop and work.

Cjl5585 thank you for noticing. It is one small way I can try to impact those I come in contact with. I am also glad you know what it means and who said it!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.