585,991 active members*
6,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Rapid movement and boards

Rapid movement and boards

One of my machines is a Fadal 5020 VMC, 1998 model. I'm told that many years ago it burnt up a board, and one of the guys running it then claimed that running it at 100% rapid was the cause. Since then, everyone running the machine has kept it at 50% rapid. Now I've come along and simply can't tolerate running the thing at half speed; I find it kind of sad that the people have been running it at half speed for years and years.

I don't particularly believe that 100% rapid was the cause of the board failure back then or that 100% rapid will cause another board failure. The guys before me all had the philosophy of "that's how we've always done it, so that's how we do it" so nothing ever got changed. The machine runs perfectly fine, so I'm determined to run it at 100% rapid, but at the same time, I don't want to be the one who burns up a board discovering that their claim was actually true. Is there something I can look at or check before going back to 100% rapid so I'm not just diving blindly?

One thought I just had is to check the rapid speed in the parameters because we bought the machine used, and whomever we bought it from could have increased that parameter to unsafe levels.

Running the machine at 100% causing the board to burn up ius pure B--L S--T. Who ever told you that does not have a clue. Electrical spiking or component failure is a reasonable suggestion for a board failure.
    Run the machine at 100% just like all the other 50,000 plus machine in the field do.

Neal

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. There were indeed some questionable characters running my machines before I came along. Your analysis is spot on.