584,802 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 15 12311

New DYI Fixed Gantry Router Build

I'm about to start building a small fixed gantry router. I plan to make complex carvings in wood (and hopefully aluminum) using models prepared by Vectric Aspire.

I've attached drawings of my anticipated build. Comments (especially those pointing out design flaws will be greatly appreciated). I plan to make most of the components from 8020 extrusions and connectors. A small amount of steel plate will be used. I plan to use rails and blocks for the X axis obtained from Glacern. The Y and Z sliders will be made using components from CNCRouterParts.com.

I will add corner gussets and plates for rigidity that are not shown in the drawings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Draft2CNCRouter1..jpg   Draft2CNCRouter2.jpg   Draft2CNCRouter3.jpg   Draft2CNCRouter4.jpg  

Draft2CNCRouter5.jpg  

Another drawing. The X-axis lengthened a little. More details added. Did not add plates to the drawing because they would obsure construction details.
    Comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Draft3CNC1.jpg  

Looks good so far, start collecting the needed parts and keep the pictures coming.
    DT

Construction has begun! I expect it to take some time. Comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails killme.jpg  

Looks nice! I saw your orig cad drawings before when you posted the thread.

Are you going with the design in post #2? If so it might be best to turn the 2 inside base cross rails to vertical, to give 4 support places for the rails (not just the 2 rail ends).

I also think it would be good to add a base plate either above or below the base area to reduce flex there, my preference would be above as it will also be cleaner for stopping chips that would fall down and fill up your base structure.

And one thing that's always worth thinking about is to re-examine how much vertical travel you actually need. With a moving table build only the Z axis is mounted on another axis so its the only axis with multiplied slop, so by reducing Z travel and spacing the Z bearing further apart vertically, you increase total ridgidity a lot. On my littl emoving table machine i limited the Z travel to 60mm and the gantry clearance to 60mm (for better rigidity) and have never regretted it.

Some more progress. Removed gantry (for now). Added corner braces to base. Also assembled base with longer screws (not shown were 5/8" now 1"). Added support for x-axis. One rail placed on support. Not screwed down yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails base 1.jpg   base 2.jpg  

Assembled Z axis per plans from CNCRouterParts.com. Also got Mach 3 running on an old PC and connected to a Gecko G540 and 3 steppers. Works real well. Under no load, there is no measureable backlash with my cheap Grizzley dial indicator. Electronics still need to be encased. Thinking about a Smooth Stepper too.

Will probably reduce Z travel in future. Without reducing travel, the assembly can be shortened by about 2 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z-axis.jpg   open electronics.jpg  

Your making good progress Don; what size are your steppers?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    what size are your steppers?

Tom
    NEMA 23, 380 oz-in steppers purchased from CNCRouterParts.com

Don

Don,
    I am running the a HobbyCNC Pro board with 200 oz-in steppers, they are pushing around a modified JGRO (mdf=heavy) machine with a Sears Craftsman 2.5hp router. Works pretty darn good, could be just a little faster though as I am running single start 5/8" 11tpi all-thread on all of my axis. I can run at a respectable 30-40ipm, I can push it but I don't want to break anything until I finish my upcoming all-metal machine.
    So, your steppers will probably drive your bits and/or spindle right through the bottom of your table so be careful , jk.
    But you do have alot of power for such a small cutting area.......awesome.
    Tom

I like the look of your machine, seems very sturdy. One day I think I may build one out of extrusions as well.

A little more progress. Finished mounting the X-axis rails to their supports. Beginning to add support plates. My teasing wife keeps telling me that I didn't have enough tinker toys when I was a kid and I'm making up for that now. I'm a little concerned that the gantry may be too tall as pointed out by RomanLini. Some photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101023-1.jpg   102023-2.jpg   101023-3.jpg  

Don,

It is hard to tell from your pictures and since the y, z and spindle aren't yet mounted, but will your spindle be in the center of your X travel?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    Don,

will your spindle be in the center of your X travel?

Alan
    I hope it will be very close. I originally planned to make the front and back positioning of the x rails adjustable by about 1.5". I decided to not do that when I went from 4" to 3" steel plates beneath the X rails. I hope that I don't regret that decision.

Don

It looks like (if you needed to) you could move your whole bridge forward slightly. Is that possible?

Alan

Don,

The construction of this machine looks extremely solid. What are you going to do for your gantry rail? Are you going to extend it past the aluminum on the gantry? My only concern would be that you might have limited travel in this axis. I think everything will be incredibly stiff on this -- I have seen far spindlier moving gantry machines that have made acceptable cuts, so I would personally try to maximize your travel on the gantry.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

festool fan eh?

I appreciate all the comments.

I think that the spindle will be close to the center of my base. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to move the gantry. If necessary, I think that I'll be able to move the X axis rails a little more than an inch.

I plan to use spacer so that the Y axis can move almost the full length of the gantry.

A little more progress today. Made and attached small 8020 cuttings to extend the width of gantry. Prepared and attached the 1/4" steel plate to the gantry.

Some photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101024-1.jpg   101024-2.jpg   101024-3.jpg  

Painted the steel on the gantry and the steel support for the X rails. Mounted the completed Z axis onto the Y axis. The stepper motor has not been connected. The photos below show the potential travel on the Y axis. The third photo shows the spacer I inserted to increase the Y travel. The X axis rails are not currently attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101024-4.jpg   101024-5.jpg   101024-6.jpg  

It doesn't show well in this photograph but the Z axis does not have a whole lot of usable travel unless I greatly extend the plate that I purchased from CNCRouterParts.com. A much better solution would be to have the two sets of bearing blocks mounted back-to-back on a single plate. That way the set up would be much more rigid and have much more usable travel without cantilevering the cutter way below the bearings. CNCRouterParts.com just started selling a mounting plate to just that. (http://www.cncrouterparts.com/produc...roducts_id=101) I think I will make a plate that incorporates the spacers that I need to maximize Y axis travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101024-7.jpg  

Page 1 of 15 12311