585,982 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Machine: Where do I start?

I purchased a Techno 040 today and need to figure out how to get it actually cutting material. This was a good used machine and it's working.

The guy I bought it from was a sign maker. He had some files he'd made in CADlink Profilelab and then ran in MSDos G-Code software (I believe he program was actually called GCode.

But what I was wondering, is this all I need to use this machine? He used ProfileLab to create the drawing and ran it in the G-Code software.

Is there something else I should invest in? I'd like to cut instruments (mostly solid bodies). This routing would involve cutting 1-2.5" thick pieces depending on the part and it would be all the way through in a few passes.

So I take it you don't have the software he used? Or do you have it?

If not, then off the top of my head I would say the DOS program was a program called TurboCNC. That would be a software program that interprets the g code instructions and then tells your machine how and were to move. So in other words, the g code is like a list of instructions that is basically a text file and the controller software, TurboCNC, follows those instructions and tells your machine what to do.

A more popular software for this is called Mach3. Or you can get TruboCNC if you want.

The other software, Profilelab, is called CAM software. CAM stands for Computer Aided Manufacturing. Reading up on this particular software it sounds like it has built in CAD too. CAD stands for Computer Aided Design. So this software is called CAD/CAM. Yes, you could use this software, yet, although they have a 3D version, it seems as though this is mostly a 2D software.

For machining musical instruments you'd probably want a more robust CAM software that can do full 3D tool path generation. There are many out there. MasterCam is the leader of the pack, but everyone has their version of CAM software that they like. I prefer VisualMill and VisualTurn, although I haven't touched my CNC stuff in a while so I'm not good person for making a recommendation for good CAM software. MasterCAM will set you back quite a bit. I don't know what the going rate is as of now, but last I heard I think it was around $10,00 US for a single seat.

If you don't have CAD/CAM you'll need software to do 3D CAD. A really good one is Google SketchUp. It's free and it's a good starter 3D software. The best is SolidWorks! Well, according to me, others will have numerous other recommendations.

That should get you started with getting the software you need.

One last thing though. And that is something called the post processor found in CAM software. I bring this up because I had a problem understanding this when I was first starting out. The post processor is a list of instructions that is specific to your machine. It basically tells your CAM software the size of your machine and numerous other specifications which allows your CAM software to generate the g code instructions custom tailored for your machine.

You found the right spot to ask questions! CNCzone has by far the biggest online community of CNC machinists, so ask away!

The machine came with everything (Computer controller and software). But I'm not sure ProfileLab can do more than signs. I'll have to contact them. I've been looking at CAMBAM. Maybe that will get the job done? So far it seems like it's not interpreting a DXF as it looked in the CAD program.

I'm not in the know about CamBam. I've heard of it, but I know nothing about it. Perhaps someone can direct you to a really good inexpensive CAM software as I am out of the loop as to what's good these days.

Keep in mind that there are numerous versions of the DXF format. Sometimes trying to save in a different version, if your CAD software can do that, can fix importing errors.

You have a few different layers of software, first is your techno interface, is your machine stepper or servo? if it is stepper is it running on the techno interface?

if it is servo is it running on isa or pci interface? the interface is what interprets the g-code to make your machine move. both the isa and pci work pretty well. the isa is not supported as the isa buss is no longer supported very well by manufacturers.

the first layer is whatever you use to generate your geometry, (cad) if you are going to do instruments I suggest that you fine something that will create very smooth spline curves and very smooth surfaces. next layer is the cam layer. It generates the tool path and adds the cutter compensation. if you don't have this capacity in your software, it means you have to draw every thing with that offset in mind.

start researching the cost benefit and time investment of all the packages you can find out there on the net. keep in mind that what is made to look easy in a sales pitch is often harder than it looks, especially at the beginning.

step one really think through what you want to be able to eventually do with your machine and make sure what you get will get you there so you only have to learn one system and then learn it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Montabelli View Post
    You have a few different layers of software, first is your techno interface, is your machine stepper or servo? if it is stepper is it running on the techno interface?

if it is servo is it running on isa or pci interface? the interface is what interprets the g-code to make your machine move. both the isa and pci work pretty well. the isa is not supported as the isa buss is no longer supported very well by manufacturers.

the first layer is whatever you use to generate your geometry, (cad) if you are going to do instruments I suggest that you fine something that will create very smooth spline curves and very smooth surfaces. next layer is the cam layer. It generates the tool path and adds the cutter compensation. if you don't have this capacity in your software, it means you have to draw every thing with that offset in mind.

start researching the cost benefit and time investment of all the packages you can find out there on the net. keep in mind that what is made to look easy in a sales pitch is often harder than it looks, especially at the beginning.

step one really think through what you want to be able to eventually do with your machine and make sure what you get will get you there so you only have to learn one system and then learn it well.
    This is an 040 machine and it's got the SRV-400 controller with Servos. It's ISA but it all works. The hard part is getting my DXF drawings (guitar parts) into tool paths. I've got a program called ProfileLab.

So Far ProfileLab is actually opening the drawing but editing toolpaths is tricky. I am having a hard time in the dxf file being used. It's not letting me select just a single path (i.e. the outline shape). Do most CAM programs allow layer selection for easy access to each part of a drawing?

I have only used in order of frequency, Mastercam, casmate, art cam, and a really old version of bobcad. Almost any good cad program should allow you to move things to different layers. is there any filtering available in the selection of objects in profile lab? how about changing colors of features and selecting by color?

Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    I purchased a Techno 040 today and need to figure out how to get it actually cutting material. This was a good used machine and it's working.

The guy I bought it from was a sign maker. He had some files he'd made in CADlink Profilelab and then ran in MSDos G-Code software (I believe he program was actually called GCode.

But what I was wondering, is this all I need to use this machine? He used ProfileLab to create the drawing and ran it in the G-Code software.

Is there something else I should invest in? I'd like to cut instruments (mostly solid bodies). This routing would involve cutting 1-2.5" thick pieces depending on the part and it would be all the way through in a few passes.
    MSDos? That doesn't exactly sound like G-Code. It also sounds like an ISA bus interface, of which Techno doesn't support in terms of newer software. The irony to this is that the same code works for older and newer machines, except that port space is in ISA bus (0..0x300) space, and a couple of bits are different. As I have a similar machine in addition to the newer machines I sell my customers, I wrote my own interface for it. If you're going to stay with techno controls, you'll want to either bug the developers to provide an ISA bus version of software, or likely spend $1700.00 for their PCI version of card.
    Joe Jared - OsiruSoft Research and Engineering - http://www.oretek.com