584,837 active members*
5,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Whats a Tree J325 worth?

Whats a Tree J325 worth?

Hi guys,
    I found a Tree Journeyman 325 for sale and I was hoping to get some input. Judging from the user manual I'd guess it was made around 1994 (the last revison date). It has 2 known problems:
    1. The monitor doesnt work
    2. It has a z-axis encoder error

I think the monitor just went out because the guy said that the screen shrank horizontally and vertically over time before it stopped working. Other than that, they say it functions. It has the dynapath delta 20 controller.

fixing the encoder is the easy part, the monitor will be expensive. In the long run you would be better off replacing the controls.

By replacing the controls, do you mean replacing it with a whole different controller or another dynapath controller in better condition?

thanks

If you can find a dynapath that someone is tossing because they are upgrading would be the easiest. The down side is nobody tosses a perfectly working system for no reason. This means the new system will also have problems ...often times problems you can't identify because the darn thing won't tell you why it doesn't work (like your monitor that is blank).

When you are done, you will be restricted to a small memory and using RS-232 drip commands.
    Totally new controls is the best route - but the most expensive and the most work. It is all a huge trade off.

So, its a non running machine. They "say" its an encoder, could be a bad motor, or drive, or out of tune. The monitor should be easy to get repaired. Don't dump the Delta 20, perfect garage/quick controller. '94 delta should have EIA programming as well, and a 20 should have calc assist. Biggest problem on those is the VFD for the spindle. NLA for a few years now, and people never clean the cooling grill on the back of them. If they can prove it's operational other than Z, no more than 2500 with the problems it has. If you can't test anything, it's scrap price.

Thanks for the replys.

They said that there was a z-axis encoder error on the screen, back when the screen worked.
    Yes, it's manual showed topics on conversational and eia programming. I dont mind the drip feed so much I guess, as long as the machine will get the job done. He said the owner may take $1000 for it. I think they want the shop space.

thanks

Well, if your a handy sort, and have the space, i'd buy it. A guy out here used to charge 250 for a CRT repair, and if it is just the encoder, they can be replaced in the motor for less than 100 bucks. If you need a whole new motor, they used to be 1800.00, not sure any longer. Been out of the field service game for a while now.

BTW, the Tree 325, 425 have always been my favorite small machine. Always wished I had a garage to put one in.

I'm not bad at fixing things. Last month I got an old Hurco KM3 running (with help from bloke and the other guys on the hurco forums). I see crt monitor tubes on ebay for around $200 and whole monitors for around $750. No sure how much encoders are and how hard they are to replace. The big thing that I'm worried about it what else might be wrong with it.