585,760 active members*
3,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Precise Super 65B Spindle needs bearing

Precise Super 65B Spindle needs bearing

Hello, all;

I am assembling my home machine shop currently, and I have a CNC mill I hope to get working soon. I will have to find an appropriate VFD for the 5hp spindle motor, which may take time to afford.

So I purchased a high speed spindle at a local auction for a manufacturer going out of business. It's an old (obsolete) Precise S-65B, made in Racine, WI by the Precise company, now part of Fisher-Precise. It runs on 110v and does up to 45000 RPM, and is controlled by a variable speed controller like a router speed controller. The idea I had was to mount it and get the mill working, so I could do some engraving and light milling while I work to get the big spindle ready to go.

It runs fine, but the upper bearing (not the spindle bearing.. I think it's just the upper one for the motor armature) is noisy and I think dying. I wanted to pull it out and replace it, but I don't have a manual for this spindle and I don't know exactly how to do it.

I forgot to take a pic last night. But, here's a pic of a very similar spindle on ebay. This one is a bit older I think.

I've taken off the top cap, (on the bottom in the pic), and removed the air filter under it. I also removed the armature end cover/clamp under that, which is a cast aluminum or alloy piece that covers the bearing.

Underneath that I can see the bearing with a hex head screw in the middle of it. It looks like there's some kind of sleeve down the bearing center that it screws into. Removing the screw and rotating the bearing carrier to line up the slots, I can tap the entire spindle on a wood block enough to get the bearing to slide out part way.. about a centimeter. But it won't come any farther.

I don't want to force something and break this. Does anyone know these spindle types and how to get it out, or does anyone have a manual? I've contacted Precise and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks,
    Erik

Spindle bearing

I heard back from Fischer Precise on this... they sent me a short manual with instructions for how often to change the air filter, collet part numbers, etc.

They don't have an exploded diagram or parts list... looks like I'm on my own for disassembly.

They did say they have the bearings available..$350 for the front bearing set, $175 for the rear shaft bearing, $230 for the rear support bearing. I think mine has the rear support bearing bad. I'll find out, I guess.

From what I can see there's a retaining ring threaded into the top of the tool on internal threads. I'll see if I can make a tool to remove it and find out more about how the whole thing goes together.

Erik

apply kerosine, leave for a couple days and try again.