585,692 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Dyna DM2400 Parts for sale!

Dyna DM2400 Parts for sale!

For a DM 2400 I have all of the stepper drivers (3), the distribution board, all wiring for the boards listed and a working controller. For the DM 3000 I have all of the above but no controller. The 2400 was fully operational with its original electronics til today when I installed a Gecko G540 now I get to use G code! The parts on the 3000 were never tested due to no controller (the spindle worked fine) but all were in good shape and no burnt smells or traces. PM me if you are interested.

So what happened?

Give up on the SKIP control programming?

Timothy

You cant find the software at all and according to Roberto at Dyna, you would have to have a dongle key anyway. There are no more dongle keys available for sale or otherwise. However after I got over the procrastination I hooked up my G540 and used the Dyna 24VDC 4.5A PS and it is working great at the moment. Just talked to Roberto and he walked me thru jumpering the speed controller board and getting it to work manually (still have the use of the pot on the spindle). I bet before the night is over I have the G540 switching it on and off with a 5v signal. All seems well in its operation. I am using the original homing switches which are NC, 1 per axis each getting its own pin. It all fit in the cabinet very well and clean. I get a little bit of unsmooth sound from the stepper/leadscrew at slower speeds but tuning will probably improve that, as it does clean up when using the feed rate override :-). Upon looking at the specs for the original steppers, they are 2.4A in series but only 3A in parallel, since the G540 accepts up to 3.5A per axis should I rewire them in parallel? Would I gain speed and or torque? or 1 at the detriment of the other? It is coming along nicely. I spent a long time reading and trying to make it work only to find no one had done it before successfully and if they did, they are keeping it a secret. Had I known it could be converted in 2 hours of soldering I would have done it a long time ago. I actually took the G540 out of the DM3000 since I am still waiting on a back plate for it.

Hey doesnt a pot on a motor speed control probably just use a 0-10v signal and just varies the voltage to get the desired speed? Why couldnt the VFD connections of the G540 be connected to the speed controller board and allow S speed control? Maybe a little more reading on that one. Would work just like interfacing with that Bardac wouldnt it?

I think it depends on what you'll be cutting on the table. If its light stuff like plastic and wax, I would wire it parallel. If you're cutting aluminum and steel I would keep it wired in series. However I really have no idea how much faster the stepper might spin wired parallel.
    When I looked closely at the original Dyna Mechtronics DM4400 stepper driver board, it looked like it switched from series operation to parallel operation depending if you were feeding or rapiding. As my 4400 is now, I have them wired in series and can get up to 96ipm (2440mm/min) but every once in awhile it misses steps so I've slowed it down to 72ipm (1800mm/min).

Yea, with a Gecko G540 the retrofit doesn't take long at all...

Timothy

A pot or rheostat is just a variable resistor. Quite the opposite of a 0-10v signal and definitely not compatible.
    Is the rheostat the only way to control motor speed on the DM2400? Is it an AC or DC spindle motor?
    You could use one of the relays on the G540 to switch a bigger relay to turn the spindle on and off but I think you'll need an actual driver to control the speed. Another Bardac 1600i perhaps?

Videos?

Timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Just talked to Roberto and he walked me thru jumpering the speed controller board and getting it to work manually (still have the use of the pot on the spindle). I bet before the night is over I have the G540 switching it on and off with a 5v signal.
    Fast, would you mind sharing the info on the spindle wiring?
    I've got my 2400 traversing (Mach, w/SmoothStepper and a BOB), but I've yet to get the spindle figured out.

What software are you using to run G code?

Rex

Bjorn I did post how I got the spindle to work in the Dyna page here and on the Yahoo Dyna group. Do you have the original speed controller board still in place? There is a 9 pin header at the top of the board marked "J1", The top 2 pins on that header have 2 wires that lead to the harness that goes to the spindle. That is the on/off switch on the spindle head. Those must be connected or jumpered. At the bottom of the J1 connector (on the board) there are pins 8 (5V+) and pin 9 (5V-). The 5V source can be from the power supply just to the left, not the bigger 24v one. Are you using a G540? If you are I believ you will be able to activate the spindle thru pins 5 and or 6, this would be switching the ground on/off. More on that later, as that hasnt been tested, yet. I use BobCad if and when I am using G code. Lately I just work on machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ferrous View Post
    A pot or rheostat is just a variable resistor. Quite the opposite of a 0-10v signal and definitely not compatible.
    The pot is used to drive a 0-10v signal to the spindle motor control board. I believe it's quite common for spindle motor controllers to take -10 v to +10 v signals to control the speed and drive them in both directions.

Seen this done on a D&M CNC lathe. I think that's how the spindle amp is controlled on my DM3000H lathe also.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    For a DM 2400 I have all of the stepper drivers (3), the distribution board, all wiring for the boards listed and a working controller. For the DM 3000 I have all of the above but no controller. The 2400 was fully operational with its original electronics til today when I installed a Gecko G540 now I get to use G code! The parts on the 3000 were never tested due to no controller (the spindle worked fine) but all were in good shape and no burnt smells or traces. PM me if you are interested.
    Hello,
    Do you still have Dyna parts available? I have need for 2400 and 3000 parts.
    Larry doyle

I do have some parts for both machines. What parts do you need?
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRY DOYLE View Post
    Hello,
    Do you still have Dyna parts available? I have need for 2400 and 3000 parts.
    Larry doyle

Btw, All DM 2400 parts have been sold.