584,808 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Global Warming: Unstoppable

The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences recently released a sobering new study that found climate change and human damage to the global environment to be essentially irreversible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafaso870 View Post
    The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences recently released a sobering new study that found climate change and human damage to the global environment to be essentially irreversible.
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Climate change. It's irreversible. Unstoppable. Unmanageable.

The climate never changed until the advent of the SUV, and now man has caused the ever-so-stable climate to start changing.

If we only had a model or 19 to predict what the climate will do. (LOL! If we only had 19 models that could predict what the climate DID do!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lafaso870 View Post
    human damage to the global environment to be essentially irreversible.

Yes, and it is caused by shipping language software discs all over the planet, so stop it! That, and the production and consumption of SPAM are the primary causes.

Good. Now we can stop worrying about it and go do something else.:-)

I'd like to understand what the skeptics are skeptical about. That's not saying I understand it or believe it to be human-caused or the like. I do know this is a very small petri dish we're living on and eventually, through over-breeding, something is likely to happen that will have negative consequences.
    People seem so polarized about this subject and I'm not understanding why people are so touchy or flippant or otherwise dismissive about it.

fizzissit, are you saying that you don't think scientists can model climate change and therefore, any conclusions they make are of no consequence?

..or that there is no climate change

..or that climate change is of consequence?

.. or that climate change is out of our hands?

.. or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by pofo View Post
    I'd like to understand what the skeptics are skeptical about. That's not saying I understand it or believe it to be human-caused or the like. I do know this is a very small petri dish we're living on and eventually, through over-breeding, something is likely to happen that will have negative consequences.
    People seem so polarized about this subject and I'm not understanding why people are so touchy or flippant or otherwise dismissive about it.

fizzissit, are you saying that you don't think scientists can model climate change and therefore, any conclusions they make are of no consequence?

..or that there is no climate change

..or that climate change is of consequence?

.. or that climate change is out of our hands?

.. or something else?
    God, I'm tired of going over the same stuff...over, and over, and over...Every time someone wanders into this thread, goes right to the last post without reading through...and asks the SAME question.

I've already answered your questions in earlier posts.

But, for the record, it isn't that I don't "think" scientists can't model climate change, I KNOW they can't....AND SO DO THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GCMs do NOT adequately take into account water vapor, clouds, or solar influence. They can't replicate what HAS happened, so they're invalid.

Only a moron would put stock into a computer program that adds 2+2 and gets 5.

Also for the record, I am NOT a skeptic. I work in science, and I'm not skeptical of proper science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariss Freimanis View Post
    Good. Now we can stop worrying about it and go do something else.:-)
    Good idea!

I read all the posts and the thread is only 7 posts long and you only posted 1 post, so I don't understand why you are taking an attitude with me. Why the temper? I'm just trying to understand people's position and what's behind it.

Since I don't know you, I don't know what is sarcasm and what is not in your post. I take it that you are saying that the effects of humans on climate change are negligible and therefore any change that may be occurring is out side of our control and therefore, let's not concern ourselves with it. Is that correct?

I read all the posts and the thread is only 7 posts long and you only posted 1 post, so I don't understand why you are taking an attitude with me. Why the temper? I'm just trying to understand people's position and what's behind it.

Since I don't know you, I don't know what is sarcasm and what is not in your post. I take it that you are saying that the effects of humans on climate change are negligible and therefore any change that may be occurring is out side of our control and therefore, let's not concern ourselves with it. Is that correct?
    I do owe an apology, in that I mistakenly was referring to the most frequented thread Coming Climate Change and thought I was posting in that one.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/enviro...te_change.html

I have never said that the climate is not changing, to the contrary, it is constantly changing, and is a chaotic system.

Man's contribution to atmospheric CO2 is less than 5% of the natural total. If you think that's a qualifier to be a first-order forcing, then be my guest.

Man's contribution to climate change is virtually unmeasurable relative to the natural variability, and when taking into account the error bars of measurement, claims of human forced climate change become more religious than scientific. One famous claim of increased CO2 is more frequent and intense hurricanes.

Care to comment on that one? We're at a 33 year low in tropical storms, yet there's more CO2. Where's the ocean heat that should be evident from the warming? Why are there less land based temperature measurement stations now than 20 years ago, and why are the temperature data altered without explanation...in a manner that results in higher temp trends?

Do you think Michael Mann really should be exonerated? Do you think Phil Jones is not guilty of manipulating the scientific process as revealed in the emails...whether obtained legally or not??

Have you actually READ any of the IPCC AR4 reports?

Thanks fizzissist. Can you site some sources of material that you would consider unbiased on the subject (besides what you already mentioned)? I'd like to read more.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUq0JnaIock"]YouTube - The Coming Ice Age - Climate Hysteria Circa 1978[/nomedia] This is a brief video summarizing the perspective many put forward concerning the future of this planet. To summarize, they stated there was a coming ice age. Today, many rage about a global warming and rising tides.
    The reality is simply this, there is little science to be observed for these statements, and there is little to no evidence or proof of anything concerning the future of our planet short of a massive comet smashing into Earth.
    To put things into perspective, a volcano puts out more co2 in one second than all of human kind has in the past 180 years or so.
    CO2 is not a pollutant and this fear hysteria is damaging to civilization. Think back to 2000 and y2k, think back to west niles virus, think (briefly) back to swine flu. What is the source of all of this non-sense? A small group of overly powerful zealots who control the media and take advantage of the gullible and weak.

Thanks fizzissist. Can you site some sources of material that you would consider unbiased on the subject (besides what you already mentioned)? I'd like to read more.
    There is no single source that both sides would agree is unbiased. You're going to have to read both sides, and not just gloss over them, to get a comprehensive view.

its getting warmer, that is true but at some point the planet was covered in ice its something happening even without us here. but anyways this has nothing to do with a CNC forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Frode1 View Post
    its getting warmer, that is true but at some point the planet was covered in ice its something happening even without us here. but anyways this has nothing to do with a CNC forum.
    Nope. Not a thing.

Unless it's getting warmer, and you wanna turn up the AC, and you can't afford it because you've voted to implement cap & trade, hooked up your CNC to those cutesy new fangled solar cells on the roof, and suddenly discover that ... you can't afford it, or there simply isn't enough power available.

...Then again, maybe you're CNC won't run because a) it's night so there's no sun to power your machine, b) there's no wind to power your windmills, or maybe c) it's not your turn to be on the grid.

Nope. Not a thing.

no problem

No sun no life no problem.

Warming Unstoppable...If You Graph It Just Right

"There’s a litany of excuses. The National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA) claims NZ has been warming at 0.92°C per 100 years. But when some independent minded chaps in New Zealand graphed the raw NZ data they found the thermometers show NZ has only warmed by a statistically non-significant 0.06°C. They asked for answer and got nowhere until they managed to get the light of legal pressure onto NIWA to force it to reply honestly. Reading between the lines, it’s obvious NIWA can’t explain nor defend the adjustments."

New Zealand – Where did that warming go? « JoNova

Someone mentioned reading material.....Here's some food for thought.

http://nzclimatescience.net/images/P...gwarmeryet.pdf

Now. Just exactly how much warmer is it??

800 things to read

800 Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skepticism of "Man-Made" Global Warming (AGW) Alarm

Popular Technology.net: 800 Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skepticism of "Man-Made" Global Warming (AGW) Alarm

Reading Material

Lapola, D.M., M.D. Oyama, and C.A. Nobre. 2009. Exploring the range of climate biome projections for tropical South America: The role of CO2 fertilization and seasonality. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 23, GB3003, doi:10.1029/2008GB003357.

Laurance, S.G.W., W.F. Laurance, H.E.M. Nascimento, A. Andrade, P.M. Fearnside, E.R.G. Rebello, and R. Condit. 2009. Long-term variation in Amazon forest dynamics. Journal of Vegetation Science, 20, 323–333.

Saleska, S.R., K. Didan, A.R. Huete, H.R. da Rocha. 2007. Amazon forests green-up during 2005 drought. Science, 318, 612.

Carder, M. R. McNamee, I. Beverland, R. Elton, G.R. Cohen, J. Boyd, and R.M. Agius, 2005. The lagged effect of cold temperature and wind chill on cardiorespiratory mortality in Scotland. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 62, 702-710.

Davis, R.E., Knappenberger, P.C., Michaels, P.J., and W.M. Novicoff, 2004. Seasonality of climate-human mortality relationships in U.S. cities and impacts of climate change. Climate Research, 26, 61-76.

Kan, H. S.J. London, H. Chen, G. Song, G. Chen, L. Jiang, N. Zhao, Y. Zhang, and B. Chen, 2007. Diurnal temperature range and daily mortality in Shanghai, China. Environmental Research, 103, 424–431.

McCabe, G. J., D. R. Legates, and H. F. Lins. 2010. Variability and trends in dry day frequency and dry event length in the southwestern United States, Journal of Geophysical Research, 115, D07108, doi:10.1029/2009JD012866.

PALSEA (the PALeo SEA level working group: Abe-Ouchi, A., Andersen, M., Antonioli, F., Bamber, J., Bard, E., Clark, J., Clark, P., Deschamps, P., Dutton, A., Elliot, M., Gallup, C., Gomez, N., Gregory, J., Huybers, P., Kawamura, K., Kelly, M., Lambeck, K., Lowell, T., Mitrovica, J., Otto-Bleisner, B., Richards, D., Siddall, M., Stanford, J., Stirling, C., Stocker, T., Thomas, A., Thompson, W., Torbjorn, T., Vazquez Riveiros, N., Waelbroeck, C., Yokoyama, Y. and Yu, S.) 2009. The sea-level conundrum: case studies from palaeo-archives. Journal of Quaternary Science, 25, 19-25.

Liu, X., L. Zhao, T. Chen, X. Shao, Q. Liu, S. Hou, D. Qin, and W. An. 2010. Combined tree-ring width and δ13C to reconstruct snowpack depth: A pilot study in the Gongga Mountain, west China. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, DOI 10.1007/s00704-010-0291-x.

Tedesco, M., and A.J. Monaghan. 2009, An updated Antarctic melt record through 2009 and its linkages to high- latitude and tropical climate variability, Geophysical Research Letters, 36, L18502, doi:10.1029/2009GL039186.

Tedesco, M. and A.J. Monaghan. 2010. Climate and melting variability in Antarctica. Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 91, 1-2.

Wendt, A., G. Casassa, A. Rivera, and J. Wendt. 2009. Reassessment of ice mass balance at Horseshoe Valley, Antarctica. Antarctic Science, 21, 505–513.

.........lemme know if you need more...

Thank you.

The other thing that puzzles me is why this topic riles people so. It's as though one were discussing religion.

I think it riles most folk because it's such a blatant lie.

We're paying these folk via our taxes to lie to us and we have no option to say "funding not approved".

Couple that with the fact that this is a CNC forum and most folk that are into CNC deal in measurable things so (for example) seeing a temperature measuring station placed next to a factory heat exchanger output won't go missed. There's a piccy on this site somewhere of that one.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Page 1 of 3 123