585,973 active members*
4,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > controller power supply 115/230v OK for Australian power?

controller power supply 115/230v OK for Australian power?

Hi I'm new here, I'm hoping to put together a X2 CNC and have been a bit overwhelmed with all the info on this forum - I planing to buy parts from the US (AUS dollar is so high) and was wondering about the mains power difference - I'm looking at G540 with a 48V/12.5A Power Supply, 115V/230V (from Keling) - Would this work alright here? anyone had any experience running a US PSU? I asked Keling and was just told "This controller is for 110V/220VAc input"

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Carl

There may be a switch to set for 110V or 230V but the majority of switched mode power supplies will handle it automatically.
    Be sure to check if your supply has a switch before turning it on
    Regards
    Geoff

Most likely a link.

It will work, but you must find the link to remove, most likely on the PCB of the power supply.
    Refer to the manual if possible.
    Post some photos here if you are not sure where the link is.
    Check out some local prices, as they all come into the country in $US anyway, at least for the power supply.
    The shipping of the bigger power supply may be more expensive than you think.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Momill View Post
    Would this work alright here? anyone had any experience running a US PSU? I asked Keling and was just told "This controller is for 110V/220VAc input"

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Carl
    They are used here in NA which has been 120v/240vac for some time.
    If it is the switching supply I believe it is auto detect input from 100v-240v.
    In the case of a switching supply, the output remains constant regardless of input, the linear Toroidal will output slightly higher on 120/240v. But will operate fine.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

neilw20's right, support the local sellers! These ones have appropriate power supplies at reasonable prices.

Homann Designs
    Ausxmods

Both good guys to deal with.
    Regards
    Geoff

Two types.

There are switch mode supplies rated around 90-240v and these don't need setting the voltage.
    If they are rated 110/220 then they almost certainly need a link removed or a switch changed for the higher voltage operation.
    Look closely at the ratings tag.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and the advice I didn't know of any local places selling this kind of stuff I'm really surprised that they are not a lot more expensive than the stuff from the US, thanks a lot for the links tumutbound.

Thanks again for the friendly advice everyone, I'm a CAD teacher (SolidWorks) and my skills are more in the software and product design side of things so all the help I can get with the electrical and mechanical side of setting up a mill is great - hope everyone has a good day

introduction

Hi Sent a PM.

Paul

Hi all, on the subject of US powered equipment, now going so cheap with the OZ dollar so high, I have a 240 volt to 110 volt transformer that I want to get rid of, rated at about 5KVA, which I think gives you 50 amps on the 110 volt output.....correct me if'n I'm wrong....but it's a big mother....weighs about 60 KG, 350mm square and stands about 450mm high.....a big mother.

I'm going to put it on Ebay soon as I want to clear out some "treasure" from my garage to make way for me to get at my bench, lathe and mill, amongst other things that have dissapeared in the darkness at the back of my workshop.....email me on [email protected] if'n anyone's interested.
    Ian.