584,849 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Post Processor Files > Why doesn't anyone share post processor files.

Why doesn't anyone share post processor files.

I don't understand why NO ONE is willing to share post processors. I mean "Come on!". First of all, the software companies rob you to tune of tens of thousands of dollars and then you have to pay more for the post processor file. Then there are people on here who can help but do not. Its not like the post processor file is copyrighted. Is it because they had to pay for it and by God they are not giving it away. Or is it because they are scared that someone may steal their business. I thought this forum was intended to help one another.

PS I need a post processor for Esprit to write to a Mazatrol Nexus

Software

Quote Originally Posted by keystone76 View Post
    I don't understand why NO ONE is willing to share post processors. I mean "Come on!". First of all, the software companies rob you to tune of tens of thousands of dollars and then you have to pay more for the post processor file. Then there are people on here who can help but do not. Its not like the post processor file is copyrighted. Is it because they had to pay for it and by God they are not giving it away. Or is it because they are scared that someone may steal their business. I thought this forum was intended to help one another.

PS I need a post processor for Esprit to write to a Mazatrol Nexus
    Copying licensed software and providing it to someone else is STEALING!!!

That is why I went with Sheetcam as not only can you share, but the developer Les, tells you how to modify the post to fit YOUR situation!

OH, I forgot to add, if you can't figure it out, he will help!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

IMO, Post processor customization should be an automatic feature in any CAM system.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    IMO, Post processor customization should be an automatic feature in any CAM system.
    Al.
    It's odd that it usually is not, though.

Seems like there is just too much money in custom posts. It's a way for the dealer to make a bunch, so they wouldn't want the CAM software company to make it too easy.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Going one mile over the speed limit is speeding too and its ILLEGAL. But because it is socially acceptable most of us will drive up to ten miles over the speed limit. So don't come at me with your moral superiority.

I believe that if I pay 10 to 20 THOUSAND dollars for software and then another 2 THOUSAND dollars for a post that is supposedly customized for MY machine that I should be able to do what I choose with that post.

These CAM manufacturers are screwing their customers by providing a worthless piece of software as long as they do not provide the neccessary translators.

So I just looked at my post for my milling machine and I have done math problems with more content. These are simple text files with the file extension change to .pst and is not licensed software. They are not executables.

What is next, is Webster's gonna sue me for plagerism when I define a word without sending royalties to them.

This whole thing reminds me of those in college who refused to help me with my homework because it was CHEATING. Nevermind the fact that I was asking for help, not the answer. It is a form of elitism.

Does having the post processor make me a master programmer. NO! It just allows me to talk to my machine which the CAM software should do to begin with.

p38nut, you are a hypocrit! A simple search of posts by you revealed that you are a theif. Below is a quote by you regarding some artwork you "found". What is even worse is the fact that you are redistributing the artwork with total disregard for the creators copyright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot remember where I found this picture, but I think it was here or a Vcarve forum. Could you help an old fellow find it again. TIA. Mike

With SolidCAM the user has full access to the post and SolidCAM provide a manual explaining the various functions so I supose you are actively encouraged to develop the post to suit your application. With that in mind, I consider that the posts I have developed are the property of the company I work for and therefore do not share them. This doesn't mean that I don't share my knowledge (as the posts on the SolidCAM forum will testify).

What post are you looking for?

Cool hypocrit

Quote Originally Posted by keystone76 View Post
    p38nut, you are a hypocrit! A simple search of posts by you revealed that you are a theif. Below is a quote by you regarding some artwork you "found". What is even worse is the fact that you are redistributing the artwork with total disregard for the creators copyright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot remember where I found this picture, but I think it was here or a Vcarve forum. Could you help an old fellow find it again. TIA. Mike
    I'm sorry you feel I'm a hypocrite. If you had read further on in my request you quoted, you would find that I was pointed to the post. This wasn't artwork I found, but a project that someone did that I admired. In a subsequent email the author told me where he purchased the artwork. I could then buy the artwork, but I chose not to at this point, but I know where to license the image if I so choose.

This was all I asked for.

Sharing Posts.

It depends on what software you have and who you purchased it from. We bought Esprit from CIM Integraters and they developed our posts. If I came across a problem I'd e-mail it to them with an explanation and in minutes I'd have the fix. Once I got used to how the posts worked I started fixing things myself. It takes time to develop a good working post and most, including myself don't feel it's something I should giveaway. What I don't like is this. The software company will sell your company the post, which is usually a generic starter that hasn't been developed yet. They let you spend the time on the machine testing how it works with code output and when you have a problem they'll fix it. You end up with a good post but so do they. Now they take your good post and sell it to other users claiming a good post and making money off your development time. How sweet is that? That's why I like working on posts myself.

Ahhhh, bootlegged software. It's great isn't it? The main problem you have is that if you are going to use it, you had better be smart enough to learn how to modify the post to suit you. I admit to messing with the big boys, and then having to not only learn the way the big boys work, but also trouble shoot, figure out a post, and spend looong hours learning the entire program in depth. Usually by trial end error. Lots of error there too.

Now, it's a well know fact that when messing with a big boy's $$$ program, you really can't go to the place and ask for help. Kind of like walking up to a cop and asking him to light your bong. If you are just a Hobbyist, they don't see a need to bother you. Just too many out there to go after each case IF they keep their heads down. If you are a shop and have a Tax number, you can lose everything, absolutely everything you worked for by using bootlegged programs.

No one in their right mind that is using a BLP is going to admit it. Sometimes the big boys troll websites like this, and might even make a post looking for help. Some programs like AutoDesk AutoCAD like to have a computer hooked up to the Net. Every time you open it, it shouts down the line, "Hey looky here, I'm being used on this computer." It's just common sense to not post things if you are keeping a low profile, and the guys that are legit aren't going to help because they paid their dues and figure you can too.

The best advice I can give you is go buy a copy of Dolphin CADCAM. You wont be wasting time fighting a program to learn it in enough depth you can actually use it, and if you do ever make a buck off your machine, you won't have to worry abut losing everything if caught. it was fun to learn and play with the big boys, but Dolphin fits my needs just fine.

custom post processors are easy to trace back to the owner , so who in their right mind would take a risk of their processor being found in a bootleg on some guy's computer

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    custom post processors are easy to trace back to the owner , so who in their right mind would take a risk of their processor being found in a bootleg on some guy's computer

There is no legal reason not to share a post file. It's just a text file. The dealers will charge to make a custom post for you and turn around and sell it to other people the next day.

You need a licensed version of the software to use the post. Kinda like it's not illegal to have an Autocad file but no Autocad.

John