585,761 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > "Simple" single tool change feature?

"Simple" single tool change feature?

Is there a simple tool change function/button/configuration for running a single tool mill. That is a command that would turn off spindle, coolant and go home for a manual change without having to manualy insert it in the g code / edit? Could it possibly be automatic depending on what post you select?
    TG

your gonna have to have tour post modified.

Seems odd there wouldnt be a software toggle for single tool machines, you know, a pause cycle between tool type opps. I put a call into them today just to see if theres not something burried in their somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tubeguy View Post
    Is there a simple tool change function/button/configuration for running a single tool mill. That is a command that would turn off spindle, coolant and go home for a manual change without having to manualy insert it in the g code / edit? Could it possibly be automatic depending on what post you select?
    TG
    Hmmm, maybe you should be looking at your machine control as well as making sure you have the correct post processor for your particular machine control system.

Example, I have 2 HURCO HAWK 5M CNC mills in my shop that don`t have ATC on them, all I have in the code from the Post is a simple T1M6 command line, I can have a dozen tools in the program (I loaded a program yesterday with over 23,000 lines of code and 8 tools !!) and when it gets to a different tool eg T2M6 the machine stops and shows a request on the screen for "Tool 2".

If you are not able to setup your machine control to do this then you will have to edit a Post Processor to get it to output the correct code for your machine to switch everything off individually.

It isn`t the actual CAD/CAM that generates the code, it`s the Post Processor

If you are not sure how to go about changing a Post Processor then upload it in a Zip file along with a sample of code from your machine control and someone will have a go at helping out for you.

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

Hey Rob, thanks for the reply, I hope you are right and that seems like the way it should run. I hope to have it up next week and will find out for sure on B.C. and their post. Prior, I only ran a convrsnl type mill for simple stuff so this is a bit new to me.

I called B.C. and they said I would have to get them to mod a post. Perhaps their posts are not as refined for AB controls VS Hurcos? we'll see.