585,573 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport/Hardinge EZ Vision Mill Wiring?

Hello guys,

Bought a 2006 Bridgeport/Hardinge EZ Vison Mill and have a few questions about wiring it.

Its 3 phase and wired for 460 volts.

I don't have 3 phase in my garage so I will be using a Tempco 7.5kw 10hp Rotary Phase Coverter.

10HP Rotary Phase Converter, 1 To 3 Phase - Soft Start - eBay (item 260492399106 end time Aug-30-10 11:46:12 PDT)

My question is, since I only have 240 residential volts coming in the garage how do I convert the Bridgeport for 240 power instead of 460? The main motor has a wiring diagram where it can be re-wired for low voltage of 208/220/230.

Does anything in the main box have to be changed if we rewire the main motor for low voltage? Don't want to burn it up, my electrician doesn't seem to keen on these machines. I can't seem to get any answers from Hardinge and don't have any wiring diagrams.

Thanks in advance!!
    Newby Pete

Yes you do!!!

2 things I can think of off hand.

1.) The 3 main disconnect fuses. I wanna say you have 15amps in there now? and you need to double that. (if not 15amp, just double the amount of what they are now) More voltage draws less amps and less voltage draws more amps.

2.) The main transformer in the elect cab. This one takes the line voltage and makes the 110 side of it. I believe this should be the black one in the top middle'ish' of the cab. The voltage and KVA rating on that one will be incorrect and you'll probably melt it and blow some fuses... hopefully.

I believe these 2 things with retapping the main motor will get you to where you need to be. Hope this helps you. Any other question feel free to send me a message. i have worked on plenty of these things.

So the main "black" transformer has to be changed too, correct?

And where would one get one from?

Plate on machine>

460 3 Phase
    5.0 KW
    6.3 A
    3.1 Spindle Amps

I was also told I could use a "buck booster" to up the volts to 460??

Thanks,
    Pete

To answer your questions

Yes transformer needs to be changed. Dont know the exact transformer you would need though, I can give you exact info next week, i have a diagram at my office. I am on the road doing service right now.

Im not familiar with this boosting thing. If it takes your 220 to 440 then i suppose it would work. Then you wont need to change anything on the machine.

You need 3 phase and correct voltage going to machine.

Hardinge may have some trnsformers in their stock or you can take yours to a electronics store and show someone what you got and what your trying to do. maybe they could help you out. Next week i will gather this info for you and maybe you can get on oline from a 3rd party.