585,763 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > BMC-20 & Ultimax II - adding "full 4th"

BMC-20 & Ultimax II - adding "full 4th"

I have a possible upcoming job where I could really use a full 4th axis to do some contouring. Actually I'd be engraving text onto a cylinder...

Let's say that I have a BMC-20 with Fanuc drives, running Ultimax II V8.60. It's got the "old style" 2 LED dual axis cards.
    Let's also say that I have a spare, single axis Fanuc analog AC servo drive and a compatible powered rotary table. However, I don't know the encoder counts on the motor - 2500 PPR probably. I also don't know the degrees/rev of the motor to rotary table. Both of these I can find out, just not right now.

What do I need to add to the control to bring this together? I assume I need another dual axis card. Does this need to be the 2-led version, or could it be the newer version? I also suppose I'd need different EPROM's in the dual axis card if it was originally an X/Y or Z/S card. Naturally the cabling between the dual axis card and the CRP board, and the CRP board to the drive would be needed which is no problem. Presumably the 0 degree microswitch needs to be hooked up (where?), unless calibrating 0 is handled in another fashion.

I think I can get a used dual-axis card. Is there more that is needed? If Ultimax needs an upgrade that's probably not in the budget.

Morning, Aaron.
    You'll need a set or two -363 Eproms for your dual axis card. The software will automatically recognise the 4th axis when it's connected.
    Send me a PM (I've lost your address due to an XP problem on my laptop) and I'll find the drawings I have for wiring this up.

Thanks Bloke. Will I need an older 2-led dual axis card, or will a newer one work too? The newer ones are a little easier to find.
    I'll drop a PM to you shortly.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Either type of card will do.

Bloke, thanks for your help. Now, to find a dual axis card!

Uh, a late reply! Thanks for your help Bloke. My little situation of adding a 4th axis has come back to importance six months later.... I'm looking over my choices for dual axis boards.
    I have 415-0176-008H and 415-0176-009H boards in my machine.
    I see that I can buy -009H, -120A, -001A, or -006H versions of this board, some of which have no EPROMs installed. Any suggestions as to which one is the most appropriate to add the a/b axis? Or, do the suffixes just show something like which EPROM versions are on the board?

Bloke, I really appreciate the help you've provided on my project here. I will try to post up a few pictures of what I've been making in the next day or two.

Aaron, a -001, -006 or if it's the newer type, -120 will do for the rotary axes. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if the -120 is the newer type or not. I'll see if I can find out later and will post an update.

Update! The -120 dual axis is the newer type and will just need to be re-jumpered to make it a rotary compatible board.

P.s. Nice parts on the other thread.

Thanks for the advice Cliff. A -120 board is on its way here. Any more insight that you can provide will be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Aaron