585,930 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RhinoCAM issue

I’m having an issue with RhinoCAM and I hope someone can help.

I’m using Rhino3D 4.0 SR 5 with RhinoCAM 1.0, the part is a bass guitar neck (without the headstock).

The original part is shown in Fig 1, the part is drawn so that the fingerboard (not the back of the neck) is parallel to the x-y plane (also the fingerboard side is on the x-y plane). The back of the neck tapers from z=0.75 (x=0, y=20) to z=0.625, (x=0, y=0). Fig 1a shows a stretched image of the right side view showing the fingerboard (bottom) is clearly parallel to the x-y plane and the back of the neck tapers).

RhinoCAM setup:

1. Part box is set from the RhinoCAM defaults (Fig 2), locate part within stock is not touched (left at the default values).
    2. The only tool used is a 0.5” ball mill (no ATC on the system).
    3. Figs 3-6 show the cut parameters.
    4. Fig 7 shows the final cut

OK, how here it the issue. Based on what I’m seeing in the simulation (fig 7) it appears that RhinoCAM is setting the top of the stock (back of the neck) parallel to the top of the part box (making the part 0.75 inches throughout instead of tapering from 0.75 to 0.625 as in the drawing). I’m basing this on the fact that stock is left on the back of the neck (upper rounded surface) pretty evenly instead of tapering it.

Possible solutions:

1. Cutting the part on a set of ramps to make up for what I’m obviously doing wrong in this file (not my first choice).
    2. Setting the thing up right in the first place and doing it properly (always the best choice).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fig 1.JPG   Fig 1a.JPG   Fig 2.JPG   Fig 3.JPG  

Fig 4.JPG   Fig 7.JPG   Fig 5.JPG   Fig 6.JPG  

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

if I am looking at Fig 1a.JPG right , To get what you want you need to rotate the part to get rhino cam to cut the z ang. you want . Right now the top of the part is running with the plane of the machine . hope that helps and it is do able with rhino cam