585,764 active members*
4,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas VF 3 coolant blockage

Im running a lot of bronze material on a VF 3 and I keep having to halt production to try and clear a blockage I cannot see. We have cleaned the gate filter and also installed an external sock filter. Yet about every couple of days the coolant just stops draining back into the resevoir from the inside of the machine. So we end up staring at a massive amount of coolant inside the machine with no clue how to keep this from happening. Help of any kind would be appreciated.

My name is Guy Williams I am a service tech with Haas Automation, Inc. I would like to help you with your problem. You said you added a sock filter. Is it our AF filter system or did you buy one some were else? I just need some info to make trouble shooting your problem easier. You can get a hold of me at the factory. 1-805-278-1800 and ask for Guy Williams at ext 7110

I look forward to helping you with this problem.

Guy
    I believe he is talking about the part were it drains into the tank from the main machine. this is a known problem for alum, brass and bronze and fines.

Kartpilot74
    the ONLY way to fix it is to take your wash down hose and have it spray on that grate section of the machine. even if your chip auger is running the grate will clog up.
    I made a part(square part) like thats on the vf2ss over the y axis cover, put a male hose thread on one side (outside of the machine)bolted it to the left side of the machine just above the grate/perferations and hook the wash down hose on it. If I need to use the washdown hose I just unscrew it.

I have a ball valve on the wash down hose in the back that I can adjust for pressure/water volume.
    the other problem your going to have is filling the screen up, go buy that blue plastic meshing they use for evap cooler pads and cut it out lay it in there. this will keep SOME (not All) of the chips and fines from getting into your tank the rest the filter will take out. you will have to change the screen every 3-5 days, make sure you get extras then just wash them out and use them the next change.

Delw

One of these might help with your problem: </title> <STYLE> a{text-decoration:none} a:link { color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: none; } a:active { color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: none;} a:visited { color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: none;} a:hover { color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: underline

Or make something like it. If you go that route, you can run your auger from within your program so it runs whenever you want it to, for however long you want it to, all hands free.

For the actual sump inlet, I have been using some .004" opening stainless wire mesh beneath some other type of fabric which is much coarser (can't remember what it's called, but got both from McMaster), and that keeps the vast majority of chips out of the sump. You just have to keep an eye on things so it doesn't fill up and overflow.

Matt on fnes it does no good, The paddle wheel thing you showed.
    One thought I had was get a light wire brush (does have to be wire) and attach it to the inside side part of the auger so it barely touches the sheet metal and let auger brush it so to speak.

those grate holes are the biggest pain in the ass on the hole machine, especially if you have parts running 24/7 unattended at night.

Thanks for that ss mesh screen idea that will help me forsure. put it riight under my make shift filter.

Delw

Thank You

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I think the action to take from this point would be to install some sort of mesh or pre-filter to help, and also to get the operator on a filter cleaning schedule. Maybe two times a week, both gate filter and sock filter. What do you guys think?

If your machine is a 2010 machine I have a fix for that problem. You can email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to get you that fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan33 View Post
    If your machine is a 2010 machine I have a fix for that problem. You can email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to get you that fix.
    can you show us a picture or something so the guys that have 2009 or older machines can maybe make it work on there machine?

Delw

I used a piece of screen from the hardware store and a couple strong magnets. I pulled the screen over my knee to form a small "bubble" that was about 6" X 20" and about 1-2" tall. I used the magnets to hold it in place over the grates. The bubble helped give more surface area so it didn't get clogged up. The magnets were strong enough that I could blow off the screen with the airgun when needed. It worked great for aluminum.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

Here is a photo of the kit for a 2010 machine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coolant drain.jpg  

I hope that helps

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Pondo View Post
    I used a piece of screen from the hardware store and a couple strong magnets. I pulled the screen over my knee to form a small "bubble" that was about 6" X 20" and about 1-2" tall. I used the magnets to hold it in place over the grates. The bubble helped give more surface area so it didn't get clogged up. The magnets were strong enough that I could blow off the screen with the airgun when needed. It worked great for aluminum.
    Pongo I like that Idea.
    were do you get strng magnets like that?
    this goes over the auger correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan33 View Post
    Here is a photo of the kit for a 2010 machine
    Thanks alot, by chance you wouldnt have a bigger picture would you?

Here you go

hope this helps

bryan33

thanks That helped alot. that could easily be made to work on a 2009 vf2ss from the looks of it. I like the hinge idea also.
    It sould help cut at least 50%+ of the fines from clogging up that grate. because where the table coolant runs off is right in that area. it wnt get all of it bt it will definatly get alot of it. I use a screened makeshift basket hanging from the drain board front of the table when I run lights out( its more like a 1 gal plastic bucket hanging from some steel wire with a buch of holes drilled in it LOL).

also I take it its not all the way up against the left side so the bigger chips can still go through the between that contraption and the side of the machine.

I might have to fabrcate something like that or take the chance and purchase the kit from HAAS then modify it to adapt to my machine.
    again thanks for that info.

Delw

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    Pondo I like that Idea.
    were do you get strong magnets like that?
    this goes over the auger correct?
    This store is right down the street from me. You can order lots of stuff from them:
    American Science & Surplus : "magnets" - Magnets
    I used the "White Magnets" ( American Science & Surplus : White Magnet )but the hatchet head magnets are cheap and very strong. They have a lot more magnets at the store than they put online.

I put the screen over the grate only, the auger ran most of the time. With the magnets you can move it or adjust it to whatever works for you, and then remove it when you don't need it.
    I was cutting lots of aluminum and plastic MRI parts.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.