585,705 active members*
4,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 11M Blank Screen

we are a high school vocational Machine Trades class with an early 1980's Takasawa vertical CNC Milling machine with a Fanuc 11M controller.

The mill has always been dependable, we even had all of the students use it already this school year. We had not used it though for about 3-4 weeks then went to start it up this past week and the screen did not come up at all?? I powered down the machine thinking it was a fluke, but still no screen.

this is where we are at right now:
    1. I have removed and checked every fuse i can find with an ohm meter
    2. when we power down the machine, the screen flashes green for a split second.
    3. when the machine is powered up
    ** it does not let us move the table, home the machine or anything else.
    ** all fans, hydraulics, etc. seem to come up fine.
    ** 7-segment LED display on the "motherboard" has a "9" displayed.

Like i said before, we are a High School, so as you can guess our budget is very tight. any help or suggestions of what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    J.D. - Instructor

Call Fanuc FA America. 888-FANUC-US. They have service engineers that will help you diagnose your problem at no cost. If you are competent enough to use a multimeter and possibly swap some boards, there should be no need to have a service engineer come out to look at your machine. If you have a bad part, keep in mind that you don't have to buy from Fanuc. There are companies like Tennessee Industrial Electronics that will sell you a refurbished part or repair yours at a lower cost than Fanuc would. You can also try ebay for parts as I've done ok finding stuff on there.