586,005 active members*
5,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1997 Bridgeport EZ-TRAK SERIES 1 DX

Last week I booted the machine and received several messages.
    1. CMOS Checksum error (defaults loaded)
    2. CMOS Checksum error (cmos battery failed)
    This is as far as the machine would boot.
    I located the battery on the motherboard (battery was a ST Microelectronics M48T86PCI). After pulling the battery out of it's socket I noticed a Dallas Semiconductor number of (DS12887A) silk screened on the motherboard so I bought this RTC because it is supposed to be a direct replacement for the M48T86PCI. After replacing the battery I powered the machine up and still receive the message (CMOS Checksum error (defaults loaded) but did not recive the message CMOS Checksum error (cmos battery failed). The machined stopped at this point after reporting the memory was OK and gave me 2 options, F1 to continue which I pushed and nothing happened.
    The second option was delete or F4 to go to Setup. I did this and then could not get out of setup. If you try to exit and save the setup you can't. It says
    use F10. There is no F10!! The other way to exit and save is to answer yes and hit enter. Can't change the flashing N to Y. How do you do this. Don't
    know but it may actually continue to boot if I can get out of the Setup Screen. Also I have noticed that sometimes the machine (the computer part)
    that is will not power up and sometimes it will. Could this possibly be a bad Power Supply or Motherboard. Any Help would be appreciated !!!

the reason it comes up with the checksum error is you need to reconfigure the bios. you will have to hook a full size keyboard to the machine to fix it. you will have to reset all the settings for the hard drive (cyl head sectors landzone etc.) and floppy drive, reset the date check to make sure the com and parallel ports are configured right. also make sure boot sequence is correct then save the settings. as far as not powering up all the time could be power supply check and make sure the fan in it is running. hope this helps.

This also indicates that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. This backs up?retains these settings. Search here. There are MANY posts covering this.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

he said he changed the bat in his post just didn't reconfigure the bios

Remember, EZ-Trak doesn't use a Full Size keyboard, and yet that's what the standard PC BIOS is looking for. Be sure to disable the "halt on error" for keyboards within the BIOS Setup.