585,759 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCNC 1100 help

I am using a PCNC 1100 with mach 3, and I am having trouble making it work. My goal is to be able to take files from solidworks then move them over and use them. Currently to do this I am using solidworks to convert the files to dxf then opening them with sheet-cam, then moving it to mach 3. When I import the dxf file to sheet-cam, it recognizes it, and shows what it should look like (file includes 4 letters), but then when I use the post processor to open it in mach 3 it only shows a tool path with a few of the cuts for the letters, but never all of them.

I do not know if any of this makes sense, I am new to cnc mills. Is there something that I am neglecting to do or what could my problem be? Also the computer has sprutcam and I do not know if that will do what I want. Is there an easy way to take a solidworks file and have this machine mill it other than what I have described?

Thanks for your help.

?Learning?

I think you need to spend some reading and learning about CNC/CAD/CAM. Sprut can easily import Solidworks parts, then you just need to learn how to program. There are tutorials on Tormach's website. I think you are trying to run before you can walk. Learning this stuff takes time, start with a simple something then move on to the more complex.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I agree, take a breath.... First, you appear to be confusing terms, maybe this will help:

CAD: A drawing package (2d or 3d) which is used to create a description in an electronic form of what you want to make. (Solidworks)

CAM: Takes the file from your CAD program and converts it into a file containing instructions on how to make your part. (SheetCam or SprutCam)

Machine Control Program: This is the program which takes the instructions generated by the CAM program and actually drives the machine (Mach3).

It sounds like you have the CAD portion somewhat figured out. Now it's time for you to invest in learning the CAM portion.

Good Luck,
    Robert

i can't remember how it works, but do you have the mach3 licence installed into your machine operating computer? i remember when i first started using mine, i didn't get the license installed properly and it limited the code to a certain number of lines. it did what i think you are describing.

I'm just learning this stuff myself but I was thinking along 300sniper's reasoning. If you are using the demo version of Sheet-cam it is limited to 160 or so lines.

John

I had the same problem. The Mach3 license was not on the CD that should have had it. I could only run a 50 lins (I think) until the machine acted like it hit a limit switch.

Open Mach3 and under one of the tabs at the top (description i think) it will say if you are still in demo mode.

stock

Check whether you have set up the stock in your cam system large enough.