5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

what type of CNC do I need?

ok lets reword my question maybe I am over looking something I cut metal
    16ga steel
    .90, .100, .125 sheet alum 5086
    1/8, 1/4 alum tube, bars etc...

would also like to make props and gears in alum three pistion cutting unit. andcould build smaller unit for these to test before building 8'x20' unit to handle sheets. in my earlier post diguy said somthing about plamsa and use of old printer parts I had orginal thought waterjet and i see alot about routers on here. so the big question is what kind of CNC do I need to look at? please the cheaper the better!!

Waterjet would cost you $100,000 minimum. You can't cut steel with a router. For the sheet materials, I'd say plasma would be the cheapest way to go. SOunds like you really need more than 1 machine, to do everything you want.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

well I may need more then one but they take up space I don't have to spare :tired: for the smaller thicker parts like gears and props I could try a plasma and that would give me a idea. at least that would be a place to start, the tables seem simple not sure how to build the plasma cutter other then buy one and attach it

any ideas where to look at drawngs for building a plasma CNC unit? also stll like the see diagrams of the waterjet pump system if you run across any

Goldhunter_2,
    You may want to re-think on the plasma, I am not knocking them or saying that they will not do what you require, they have there place just like every other form of material cutting, however, from what I know of them, they are not designed for close tolerance or surface finish critical parts, they can be finicky and warpage is a factor.

Ken

EDIT:
    So I don't get taken to the carpet
    There are precision plasma cutters, but you are not going to build one in the garage

ok ken you talk bad about my build capabilities :drowning:

My first choice was a waterjet but they don't seem to be popular in the home built section Plama would be ok for the sheet stuff not sure how it would would on gears and props tell I try one .

Is there anyone down here is Port saint Lucie fl with a home build cnc machine I can actaul look at

Is there anyone down here is Port saint Lucie fl with a home build CNC machine I can actaul look at
    I know what you mean, pictures are wonderful but they can't compare to actually looking at one.

I have a nephew in Port St Lucie, but he is not into CNC.

Mike Waldman, you by chance know him, he is into dyno'ing motorcycles.

no sorry don't know him ya I have always done better building something after seeing up close