585,604 active members*
3,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

waterjet or plasma CNC for homebuild

maybe I have been posting in the wrong forum, this one seems like ya'll are more into metal :banana: I am pretty good at make stuff out of nothing and it works but the tech stuff well...........

I figure the table maybe a water table would be very easy to build and my son could probally understand the build of the computer coponets (I can run the programs but he does the fixing) problem is what type of unit do I want and that is possiable to build ? I have NOT found any good drawings or close up pictures to help with that. if I was just cutting steal I would use a torch head but do ver little steel now mostly SS and alum. I may be better building a small machine first before building one to handle 8'x20' sheets of alum :idea: honestly I was thinking waterjet system table would be basic the same with a pan but I need to see the pump and reduction system on one. Here are the types of materials I may run in the cnc.

16ga steel sheets
    .90, .100, .125 alum sheets 5052 4'x12' , 5086 8'x20'
    1/8 and 1/4 alum 6061 flat bar, rec tubes, square tube, etc..

smaller think items in SS or alum gears and props biggest blank would be say 14" x 14" x 3.5" stainless steel

You should probably head down to a tool show and see one. Or find a vendor and ask them if you can visit an end-user that is close to you.

Nono Guest
    My question is how much money do you want to spend? How much will this machine return on investment? If you are looking for low cost to produce then start with a plasma. You could make this machine for under 10k. When you are talking abrasivejet the pumps are what cost big bucks. 20k and up. Here is a good site for abrasivejet http://www.waterjets.org/about_abrasivejets.html
    My advice start with a plasma table and make money then buy an abrasivejet used to start.

actual I was looking more at the waterjet not abrsivejet, the plasma was a after thought when someone here mentioned it. This cnc would not be used commercially ,but the whole idea in spending the time is to make nice clean cut part without havng to clean them up after words

Nono Guest
    Water Jet For Soft rubber Foam Extremely thin stuff like Foil Carpet Paper and cardboard Soft Gasket material Candy bars Diapers Soft, or thin wood You did not describe any of these things sorry :stickpoke

I seriously doubt that using a waterjet without some abrasive you'll get through a 3.5 inch thick piece of stainless in this lifetime.....

The cost of the pump, as mentioned above, is the biggest expense, but you really can’t get super results using the typical diy-cnc approach anyway. The software is key to great cuts; there is so much that goes on in the calculations of speed, slowing around curves, speeding up along the straight paths, even tilting the stream to take into account the cone-shaped cutting that occurs with high pressure water/abrasive. To make a waterproof “wood router” and strap on a 40,000 psi pump will be to deal with disappointment. Also, the actual table itself, the “easy part” for all the other machines discussed on this site, is also rather complex and important. It’s not just a table, but a large water tank that raises the water level when cutting (to submerge the work, reduce noise and mess), and lowers the level when setting up the work. Just about every component, except for the linear guides and stepper or servo motors and their controllers, is seriously on the next level of complexity. Do visit www.waterjets.org as it is very interesting, and will fully inform you about the science of abrasive jet cutting.