585,727 active members*
4,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Helitronic 45 with HMC300

Hi all,
    I am new to Walter machines, and have found an old Helitronic 45 (1994).
    If this machine works well I may buy a new one in the future.

What are these machines capable of grinding as I cannot find any information.

We are a manufacturer of PCD, Tungsten Carbide and HSS tooling for various industries and currently have 3 Vollmer PCD machines.

I need to be able to grind Tungsten Carbide bodies on the Walter machines that will be tipped in PCD.

Can the Walter cylindrically grind for say necking on a long reach PCD end mill?

Thanks

Mark

Walter HMC300

The walter 300 is nothing like the new ones.
    I personaly wouldnt touch it.
    The walter is not ment to cylindrical grind. if i remember correctly the axis that holds the tool on those old style machines does not rotate 360-infinite. i think its limited to helix rotations only, But it may be possible to trick the machine into doing it.
    those machines, if they are even still running, will mostly just do the OD of an endmill. The only ones i've seen still running are set up to do 1 or 2 operations and thats it. I know a HSS manufacturer who uses it to touch the OD of big endmills, and touch the flute face of rougher endmills.
    The newer models, hmc400, 500, 600 are completly different. dont base your ideas off a 300 series.
    i hope this helps, let me know if I can offer anymore assistance.

Thanks for your help.

I have also spoken to Walter here in the UK who knew the history of the machine and advised against buying it as it will not do what I need.

I will be on the lookout for a good used machine or even new if funds allow.