585,605 active members*
3,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > any good book or an audio CD on machine shop management?

any good book or an audio CD on machine shop management?

Hi Everybody,

I don’t really know where to post this question but I know that some of you guys are managers, foremans, company owners and etc.

I’m a entry level manager with a medium size machine shop, I find myself in situations that a guidance would be great…

Are there any good books or an audio CD on machine shop management?

Not really, most of the books and seminars are alot of BS thats been rehashed many times over and has lost the meaning. Best thing is common sense, don't listen to the guys on the floor because they will tell you crap to get out of work or are too lazy to perform an additional step. If you are lucky to find an old timer on the floor with a good work ethic ask questions. Just listen with great detail, analyze what is going on and look past the end of your nose. If you screw up find help and fix the situation before it ruins the company or your career.

Middle managers are in a hard spot but lean toward the company not the employee, most certainly don't try to be their "best friend", keep your nose clean and be a STRAIGHT shooter ALL the time, additionally be consistent with policy enforcement. Many times its better to keep your mouth shut and don't rag on your people especially if they are "A" list people, pretty simple, really.

make all sense what you're saying,
    I'm learning how to avoid certain situation and going direct to the point without having to give explanations.

I got guys on the floor with no good work ethic and on the top of that, they have attitude towards to myself and other workers as-well...

I find that a problem for me to deal with and the worst part is, when I speak to my superior he tell me that they need guidance and we need to take their level up, they need to be told what to do, I see that if I react to them with a stone in my hand saying is this way because I'm saying so... in my opinion I'm going to be a bad boss.

I'm a very open mind person and I see that could be a problem specially with this type of environment.

well thank you, feel free to add whatever you like in regards to machine shop management...

Hello,
    With all respect to foxsquirrel i would do very little of that. I have read a ton of books from the best managers, ceo's, business owners, etc... The single best thing to do is not treat your employees like they are lower than you. DO NOT assume they are lazy, worthless etc... For starters read a book called "FISH" [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Remarkable-Boost-Morale-Improve-Results/dp/0786866020]Amazon.com: Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results (9780786888825): Stephen C. Lundin, Harry Paul, John Christensen, Ken Blanchard: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame] Than I would read a book called "NUTS" [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Southwest-Airlines-Business-Personal-Success/dp/0767901843]Amazon.com: Nuts! Southwest Airlines' Crazy Recipe for Business and Personal Success (9780767901840): Kevin Freiberg, Jackie Freiberg: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame] Those 2 will get you on the right track to understand how the moral of people is so important. I own part of a company called PDS creative, we do high precision cnc, quickturn, illustrative design, product branding, etc. I came from a backround where i started 6 years ago cleaning machines, than moved up from there, now I own my own company... What is most important is that you look towards the right people for guidance, read books from the people who are successful and learn from them.

And the fact that you want to improve on your own time makes you 10 times better than alot of managers out there.
    Good Luck!
    I have stacks of books at home ive read if you are looking for more ideas on good books... just ask

Quote Originally Posted by PRINT_FX View Post
    make all sense what you're saying,
    I'm learning how to avoid certain situation and going direct to the point without having to give explanations.

I got guys on the floor with no good work ethic and on the top of that, they have attitude towards to myself and other workers as-well...

I find that a problem for me to deal with and the worst part is, when I speak to my superior he tell me that they need guidance and we need to take their level up, they need to be told what to do, I see that if I react to them with a stone in my hand saying is this way because I'm saying so... in my opinion I'm going to be a bad boss.

I'm a very open mind person and I see that could be a problem specially with this type of environment.

well thank you, feel free to add whatever you like in regards to machine shop management...
    That is a big problem and it seems the 30 and under crowd is getting worse. My company is in a small town and its like finding hens teeth to get someone that can pass a drug test. Our area is not very well suited for a company that requires highly technical people. The under 30 crowd has grown up playing Xbox and Nintendo all night and missed out on a lot of social skill building. Lack of those skills and combined with the parents that grew up in the 70's (myself included) the kids are not presented with alot of postive role models other than professional athletes that do bad things and promote dog fighting, not a very good moral compass. When they enter the workplace you must also introduce them to social skills they should have learned in the tender years. So you will have to develope skills that will be needed to deal with that problem.

One of my favorite ways to clear out dead wood is to keep my mouth shut and play dumb and let them have enough rope and eventually they will hang themselves. Sadly with the current cost of litigation you have no other choice but let them do something that is a major policy violation like arriving to work still buzzed from the night before. Usually if you ignore the problem they will become bolder and think they have one over on you, then drop the hammer and send them to the clinic.

im 21... It's amazing what you can do in very little time if you just do it. and to foxsquirrel negative attitude breeds negative attitude. You should read "fish" if you dont like it so be it, u wasted $9 and a couple hrs. If you do like it, a new mindset could change your life.

well guys I need some time to think about what was said over here, although I will look into the fish book, I already found it here actually.

the wife tell-me that the best way of getting peoples attention and make then do the work under a positive work ethic, is make them feel good about the work or what they did and then... tell them that they can be better using the same context words.

in regards to a dispute is to answer or ask the question using the exact words that originated the same dispute ....
    I studied lots of philosophy but I have to assume that I'm going throughout a pretty tuff time...

you guys have a great day

Quote Originally Posted by PRINT_FX View Post
    I studied lots of philosophy but I have to assume that I'm going throughout a pretty tuff time...
    Yep, that will all go away when you own the company someday.

im not a manager however i grew up under the roof of one of the best managers around. here is a list of a few things that will set you above the rest:

* Be clear about your expectations of your employees and always set the example

*Be consistant across the board (if its wrong for one guy its wrong for everyone, you included)

*Dont lean toward the company or the employee. Lean toward what is right!!

*Live by the saying an honest day's wage for an honest day's work

*Listen to your employees and if they deserve it then fight to get them a raise

*Be creative- if money is tight and raises won't happen for the shop then have a BBQ or something to keep up morale. Remember that a little goes a long ways when your men feel rewarded and appreciated.

*If you hand out pay checks to your guys THANK EVERY ONE OF THEM FOR THEIR WORK my uncle does this every pay period for his guys and it means a lot

*use common sense

*and lastly be strict but fair (if a guy is late all the time and protocol calls for his termination even if its your brother you have to fire him) as i stated my dad is a fantastic manager and i know if i worked for him and didn't do my job he would fire me without thinking twice

Managing people isn't a glorious position and if you do it right it probably wont be noticed by the company but if you mess up they'll know within no time. Good luck in the future and i hope some of this helps you

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter9624 View Post

*and lastly be strict but fair (if a guy is late all the time and protocol calls for his termination even if its your brother you have to fire him)
    Thats not being fair, thats called following the LAW. Typically in those situations it depends on the net worth of the company on how the attorneys will handle things. In a small to midsize company they will negotiate the termination of the supervisor/manager regardless of merit just to satisfy the "unjustly" terminated employee. Guess who will be back at work, it will not be the manager. Its cheaper to rehire a loser back at $10 hour versus your attornery who is billing the company at $160 an hour + picking up the tab for a losers attorney and lost time.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    Thats not being fair, thats called following the LAW. Typically in those situations it depends on the net worth of the company on how the attorneys will handle things. In a small to midsize company they will negotiate the termination of the supervisor/manager regardless of merit just to satisfy the "unjustly" terminated employee. Guess who will be back at work, it will not be the manager. Its cheaper to rehire a loser back at $10 hour versus your attornery who is billing the company at $160 an hour + picking up the tab for a losers attorney and lost time.
    or you can take everything literally. That was more suggesting that you dont give certian people special treatment like family. But if your brother walks in 30 min late everyday and he's been warned, he's got to go. Otherwise you will have problems with the rest of the employees and lose their respect. Last i knew termination for not showing up was pretty just in my books.

Lots of good advice already, here's my 2 cents
    Switch is a really good book on creating change in an organization
    when I speak to my superior he tell me that they need guidance and we need to take their level up, they need to be told what to do
    To make this happen you need to work with your boss:

1. Define the specific areas where you need improvement, for example-reduce setup time

2. Call the employees together, lay out the specific metrics that you aim to improve and ask them for input on how to make it happen.

Listen to them and don't get drawn into arguments.

3. Go back to the drawing board with the management team.

Figure out the game plan and utilize ideas that the employees came up with whenever possible.

4. Make a specific action plan for the improvements. (small is good, try to fix a few small things first)

5. Go back to the employees, lay out the plan very specifically. Don't get drawn into arguments. Tell them what you expect them to do, when it needs to be done and how you will measure success.

6. Give them a feedback mechanism so you can adjust as necessary.

7. Give them a raise when productivity goes up measurably.

8. Repeat

Mastercam Training Online

Thanks degmc. i just bought it on amazon.

Derek Goodwin , I'm buying Switch, thanks for the advice indeed, you actually helped me with a lay-out plan over here, believe it or not where I work theres lots to improve and lots to organize.

the manpower including my superior are the obstacles.
    I'm afraid that relation of giving a good examples/changes does not apply to everyone.

inertia is a very strong word.

ps. I had a mastercam training from your site sometime last year, pretty good and comfortable fee.