585,763 active members*
4,374 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How to profile a pocket with an end mill?

How to profile a pocket with an end mill?

Hi, I am a student. I got this assignment in which i had to make a .25 deep pocket in a part and to profile the edges with an end mill. But i missed the class in which the teacher explained how to do it. I somehow managed to do the pocket but have no idea how to profile the edges with an end mill. When i try to do it it simply cuts through all the edges of the pocket. Does this have something to do with the chaining or is it something else. Please help me as I have to submit this tonight and only have 6 hours left. Thanks

what toolpath are you using and can you post a screen shot or the file?

Here's the file BIKRAMJEET_GILL2 (1).MCX
    I have to profile the edges of the pocket using a slot drill and the toolpath is contour.

save it in X3 or older, I am getting a corrupt error so I am assuming you are X4 or newer.

I am at home and i don't have mastercam here. I only have the file. Can u please figure it out with this much information cuz I am failing the course and this is the only thing that can help me pass. Thanks a lot again.

I did saved it as older version of Mastercam

BIKRAMJEET_GILL2 .MCX

Not sure what you're trying to do, are you just trying to run A finish pass? What do you mean cutting through all edges of pocket? Pocket has .063 rad on all corners but you left .200 stock on the walls.

I am trying to profile the parts where the round corners meet the rectangle with a slot drill using a contour toolpath. Thanks for uploading the x3 version.

jamie1 I'm working on it, having a little problem with control definition but will try to get by.

Here is the file, hope it is how you wanted it.

BIKRAMJEET_GILL2 -2.MCX

I moved in your rough pocket to leave only .062 so the 1/8 end mill can finish in one pass
    I also changed your rough tool path from conventional to climb.

-Hijack on-

What's your reason for missing the class?
    Your choice to answer truthfully, or even at all!

-Hijack off-

I woke up too late lol

Quote Originally Posted by jamie1 View Post
    Hi, I am a student. I got this assignment in which i had to make a .25 deep pocket in a part and to profile the edges with an end mill. But i missed the class in which the teacher explained how to do it. I somehow managed to do the pocket but have no idea how to profile the edges with an end mill. When i try to do it it simply cuts through all the edges of the pocket. Does this have something to do with the chaining or is it something else. Please help me as I have to submit this tonight and only have 6 hours left. Thanks
    Hello, I had some extra time and had a look at your part.

I edited some of the tool-paths and added the finishing contour you were looking for on the pocket walls.

You should also note that you had a duplicate arc in the bottom left hand corner of your pocket that was causing some chaining issues.

The "delete duplicates" function is very useful when you're just learning to create geometry in MCX .

I can e-mail you a copy of the updated file if you post or PM me your e-mail, as I cannot attach .MCX files here.

Jamie1 What school here in Cali if I may ask?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .