585,962 active members*
3,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Sparks Protection on Mill?

I need to do some tube miters on Sch.80 Stainless Steel Pipe 4 1/2" OD and I thought I could use my CNC Mill with 4th Axis, Bridgeport Conversion.

I've got the Gcode done and I can easily make a mount to hold the torch on the mill, but I need to know what I can drape on the mill to protect the mill from the sparks of the plasma cutter? Any suggestions? Thanks.

This is going to sound fairly obvious, but...a welding blanket. Preferably one or more that you can trim to fit. Use magnets to attach the overhanging bits to the iron bits. Of course you will want enough to protect the ways, a bit like a cloth way cover.

Make a sheetmetal pan (or modify a cheap cookie sheet) to rest your fourth axis in to collect the majority of sparks/slag and you should be good to go.

Only ground directly to the parts you are cutting to avoid any spark welding of bearing surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post
    I need to do some tube miters on Sch.80 Stainless Steel Pipe 4 1/2" OD and I thought I could use my CNC Mill with 4th Axis, Bridgeport Conversion.

I've got the Gcode done and I can easily make a mount to hold the torch on the mill, but I need to know what I can drape on the mill to protect the mill from the sparks of the plasma cutter? Any suggestions? Thanks.

That was obvious, but appreciated none the less, just wanted someone else to say it to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. The part about the ground clamp is something I didn't think of yet, but definitely necessary. Thanks.