584,826 active members*
5,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > twisted pair shielded or just shielded with whole uniform twist?

twisted pair shielded or just shielded with whole uniform twist?

HI,

What's the best cable possible to use between a motor and a Gecko 203v? I see the possibility of buying the twisted pair shielded and I wonder if it would make any difference with the quality of the signal.

My controller will sit 7 meters away from the furthest motor, I would like to guarantee the best possible signal, even if that means investing on more expensive cable.

Thanks,
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by chicof View Post
    HI,

What's the best cable possible to use between a motor and a Gecko 203v? I see the possibility of buying the twisted pair shielded and I wonder if it would make any difference with the quality of the signal.

My controller will sit 7 meters away from the furthest motor, I would like to guarantee the best possible signal, even if that means investing on more expensive cable.

Thanks,
    Francis
    Why not ask Marris at Gecko?
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

hi,

I bought the drive from a friend, I didn't think about that until now and thought that more people might be able to help me out with this one.

Thanks,
    F.

The existence, type and quality of shielding has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the signal, but everything to do with blocking out extra electrical noise that can confuse the steppers, or the controller, or both. (It's like listening to a favorite song through a crummy cheap speaker, or through good quality headphones - - the quality of the actual recording has nothing to do with your "received" signal)
    Anyway, as long as the shielding is connected to ground at ONE end of the cables, and given the fact that we aren't working around high-power and high-frequency external signals, they will work just fine.
    BUT, If you feel you just have to use the solid silver wire, gold-leaf wrapped with solid gold drain wire, twisted, twisted pair wires - - there is nothing to stop you.