584,841 active members*
4,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Facing on a 7214

I am new to the world of cnc routers, and to cnczone and need some advice on facing large blocks on a shopsabre that I recently bought into. I worked in the machine shop at school during my ME undergrad working mostly with metal on manual and 3-axis cnc mills.

What I would like to do is face a 27"x120" glue lam as efficiently as possible. I tried a fly cutter but it is too unbalanced for shopsabre gantry, I am wondering about using a shell/face style cutter and what diameter is safe. Again, I am new to teh woodworking world and any advice/comments are appreciated.
    Thanks

Are you talking about a fly cutter with the adjustable square cutter for machining metal?
    If so, they are not a high speed tool.

The fly cutter is what I tried at low speed (2000 rpm) and it induced too much vibration in the gantry.

Any suggestions of a facing cutter for high speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by rcbahn View Post
    The fly cutter is what I tried at low speed (2000 rpm) and it induced too much vibration in the gantry.

Any suggestions of a facing cutter for high speeds?
    I'm a one-off machinist. Not CNC guy but tools are tools.
    I don't think I've ever seen a fly cuter spin at 2000 RPM's but if I did, I'd be looking for the EXIT sign or the breaker box. ;-)
    I'm in the wings for a new ShopSabre and Google kindly directed me to your question. I'll try and help

The Fly Cutter you have should be used in a mill. I would not run it in your machine again.

As far as I know, there are tons of options for tooling that will run in your ShopSabre just fine.
    I don't know the specific brand of tool you need. But...there are many many online tooling dealers. It's gonna $hurt$ in the beginning to get tool'd up.
    I'd call ShopSabre. They'd get you dialed in short order.

Other than the vibration...how do you like the machine so far???

Gotcha- I'll contact shop sabre and see what they recommend, surely someone has needed to faced a large wood surface for some project...

The machine has been used for cutting out wooden surfboards and so far had been great for that, I bought in to use it for other projects and keep it accesible.
    I'll post up what I find works well.

Surfacing bit

I use an Onsrud 1.25 for leveling my table (SS with 5HP spindle). The surfacer works pretty well on the MDF, but wouldn't use it for hardwood. Their 3 edge finishers do a good job on hardwood. The wider the bit the deeper the ghost lines though, and ensure you have the wood held tight to the table with a good vacuum. I cheaped out on the vacuum and have really paid for it. Get the Onsrud cutter catalog. It is a great reference for tools and will help you set speeds and feeds to optimize tool life. BTW, I really like the SS I have. It was hell to get going (learning curve and problems, but once things settled down, it has been rock solid)

Thanks for the info,
    I talked with SS the other day and they told me the largest recommended cutter for my machine is a 3"OD, and for surfacing to use a shell type end mill. I'll get my hands on an onsrud catalog, sounds like a great resource.
    Thanks