585,763 active members*
4,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Z Axis home position problem Arrow 500
Page 1 of 2 12

Z Axis home position problem Arrow 500

We have an Arrow 500 that sat for a couple of months. When we went to use it recently and pressed the align button all axis jogged and the display shows x0 y0 z0. How ever when we try to jog the carousel to the spindle it gives the alarm "Z axis too low". I believe there is a switch at the top left of the z slide that must be made to let the carousel swing into position under the spindel. The "z" homes 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shy of this switch. How do I reset the home position, what tells the machine where home position is? Thanks for any assistance. Brian

z axis

hello what control is on your machine. if it is an acramatic a2100 the z position should be 25" (637mm) or thereabouts. z0 is the theoretical position if the spindle nose was touching the table top. please align the machine and check the machine position. ie 2nd icon down on top right of screen then the middle readout at the top will give the machine position, which after aligning should be x0 y0 z25.
    if you look in MORE , MACHINE APPLICATION then press tool change along the top you should see the tool change position the carrier needs to be at for tool change to take place.
    check the figures and let me know.
    regards
    mallardfizz

Arrow 500 z axis alignment issues

mallardfizz
    Thanks for your response I believe it is a Control Technologies control? I think... During bootup I do see that name flash by. There are no other identifications that I can find. I did align the machine and looked at the display "machine" x is .0051 y is .0048 z id -0.0047 "absolute is x .0006 y.0002 z -.0047. When I choose #2 from the top menu and select status , it reports all 3 axis are "in position" I cannot find any page that displays a tool change height.

Brian

hello you wont see a page giving the tool change height that was for a Cincinnati a2100 control. i will be able to identify it from the machine serial number taken off the silver label on the outside of the electrical cabinet door.
    its the top number 70**-etc
    mallardfizz

The S/N is 7042-C00-94-0148

Model ERE

Z Axis problem

Brian I'll suggest you check the limit switch first, and not to mess with the parameters, I think your problem is electrical/mechanic and not in the software.

We had a similar problem with our A2100 control on a sabre 1250 not too long ago, however, our problem was not with the "Z" axis, but the "X" axis. When the machine was started up aqnd i tried to align it, the table went over to the TPA aligning position, then immediately shot over the opposite way. i was stumped. I ended up taking the way cover off of the rear of the table. The cable carrier had fallen out of its mounting bracket, and the "X"n axis TPA switch cord had fallen down out of the carrier. My best guess is that when putting the table in home shut-down position the night before, the wire was in the way and was cut completely in two pieces. I then went through the rest of the machine and replaced every limit/overtravel and TPA switch on the x-axis and y-axis (4switches)..Ran new cable, and ordered a different cable carrier. The machine is back up and running with no problems and will align correctly now. As Mr Bonavita said...i would check your limit switches before anything. The switches are roller switches and after a while they tend to gunk-up and stick. Hopes this helps.

I have carefully checked the limit switches, and the associated brackets. All are in good shape. Work properly and are nice and clean. I carefully moved the bracket for the limit switch "stop" up higher but it had no effect. I still get the same error. Z AXIS too low and I do believe it truly is. I thought that there was a procedure to zero the spindle face to the table and then you homed the Z. and measured the distance frome spindle face to carousel, and entered that number in the control somewhere. Of course those thoughts are from a long time ago when this machine would have been new. (1994)

If the micro switch are ok you must check the temperature of the drivers, I had a customer that has this kind of trouble and the problem was that in the power supply of the drivers needs some maintenance.

Do not change any parameter without the expertise necessary to do that

Unhappy

The drives seem to be operating properly...I think! This problem is present right from start up (dead cold machine). If all axis move properly via jog or the manual pul;se generator. It is just when we try to jog the carousel to the spindle after an alignment that it reports that the Z is too low.:drowning:

Z Axis problem

1-Did you open the micro switch enclosure and check all the wires for continuity ?
    2-Did you check the switch for proper operation ?

They do appear in good working order. Wiring is good, all function properly.
    When I align the machine the z travels up, hits the switch, jogs down about a third of an inch and the white Z light illuminates on the front panel. I hope this additional information helps.

I thought the cinci's went above Z home for tool change. It was supposed to be built in to the M6 macro. I could be wrong, been a while since I touched one.

Actually I think the z drops down to tool change position during an "m6". The z align position seems the be the highest position the z travels to.

Does anyone know if there is a diagnostic page I can look at to see if the limit switches are "made". On my Mori lathe I can watch the conditions of various switche by watching the bits change on certian parameters.

I can helpm with this problem - MAG Global Services - Robert Varney 859-534-4748

On the CT Arrow it does align at Z0. To allow a tool change the Z must be sitting on the switch. If the machine aligns it has to have seen the switch. On the control push ctrl and D this will get you to diagnostics mode. One of the selections is Bit Map or Bit Map display select this and then search 1 type in I0.01 and enter this will take you to the first set of Inputs you should see one for Z align or Z tpa. This is the align switch. It is off when not on the switch and on when on.

Thanks for the input I really do appreciate it! I checked the inputs as instructed. All 3 axis reference bits change to 1 and then blink off. None stay illuminated. It is almost like the machine is being told find the switch and then backoff some amount. The XYZ position lights on the operator control only illuminate for a moment, just as each bit turns to 1 and goes out when each bit turns back to 0. Thanks so much for you assistance!!!

Do you get a align fail? Give me a call on Monday to long to discuss what could be wrong.

Unhappy

Nor errors what so ever until I attempt to jog the tool drum to the spindle. Then I get the Z axis too low alert.

Page 1 of 2 12