584,893 active members*
3,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Workflow w/chinese machine & DSP

Hi folks,

I just received a price quote from Taney at Quick CNC, and I think the best machine for me is the 1224 (1200mm x 2400mm) that comes with DSP 0501 control system.

I'm new to the CNC game, and I'm wondering about the workflow that would be used with Albire Design Expert and the DSP system. Go easy on me because I'm not sure if they're compatible, or if I should leave out the DSP control from my order and install a domestic control system.

I've read that some users have spent countless hours trying to work out kinks with the DSP system.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I use Alibre Design Expert. For 2.5D work, you're well set. The machine will allow you to do full 3d machining, where the Alibre Expert's tool paths are not going to help you.

I initially tried with Alibre Design Expert, and soon the work needs outweighed the software, and then the decision came to either get the Alibre CAM, Pro or to go for an independent Visual Mill Pro. I choose the later. I do solid models in Alibre, 3D models in Rhino3D (mind you it will require you to export to Rhino 4, since it doesn't read in 5 WIP), and export the data to Visual Mill Pro. It works well.

Remember one more thing, Alibre Design's data export screws up the units. When I send some of my vendors material designed in Alibre, they always get back to me asking me what are the dimensions of the part. So if you have vendors, you should include a set of dimensioned drawings with the exported 3D.

All the best,
    N

Quote Originally Posted by jensenium View Post
    Hi folks,

I just received a price quote from Taney at Quick CNC, and I think the best machine for me is the 1224 (1200mm x 2400mm) that comes with DSP 0501 control system.

I'm new to the CNC game, and I'm wondering about the workflow that would be used with Albire Design Expert and the DSP system. Go easy on me because I'm not sure if they're compatible, or if I should leave out the DSP control from my order and install a domestic control system.

I've read that some users have spent countless hours trying to work out kinks with the DSP system.

Mike
    Jensenium from Lithuania?I have to same problemSP book or not?

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    I do solid models in Alibre, 3D models in Rhino3D (mind you it will require you to export to Rhino 4, since it doesn't read in 5 WIP), and export the data to Visual Mill Pro. It works well.
    Thanks Nash, that's very helpful. I'll have to check out Visual Mill Pro and Rhino3D.

Mike