585,994 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Make a Indexable 45deg Facemill

Make a Indexable 45deg Facemill

Hello all,
    Looking at making a indexable facemill. Has anyone made a 2.00 or 2.5 inch 45degree indexable, like the Glacern Machine Tools FM-45? Wondering if anyone might have a CAD of a cutter like this? It would be for a Rong-Fu type mill/drill, that i still need to put back together from my move.
    Anyhow, any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Troy

I can understand wanting to make one if you just needed some experience in high-tech milling, but a project such as that requires high precision to assure the inserts all cut at the same level. The performance of the cutter relies upon the mount being precise and repeatable, and each insert pocket in the exact same point from a reference zero. Without that, there could easily be excessive wear on one insert and poor surface finish on parts being milled. Commercially-made milling cutters such as you are describing are produced on high-precision 4 and/or 5-axis machining centers.

Most cutters today have moved away from what were once ANSI or ISO standard inserts too. Have you chosen a particular insert to fit to your proposed cutter? Do you have the correct pocket and screw geometry?

Me, while I might enjoy such a challenge, I know it's far more cost effective to just find a bargain on Ebay and hope it wasn't whacked. I know own about 8 different styles of cutters from doing it that way, and haven't so much as chipped an end mill acquiring them.

Wanting to make my own has to do with a little on the money side, and the challenge of making it. The one part i was hoping to cutt out of this possible project was the CAD work, which i can do, just dont like the time setting in front of the PC
    Insert i was planning to use is Kennametal's SEHW43-K2885. This isnt sumthin i will be getting on right away, as there is some other things i must to to my mill first. Wright now iam kinda laying out some ground work.

So what kind of machine accessories do you have to tackle this? If you've got a good vertical mill, you'll still need to be able to tilt the workpiece at some odd angles to get the features the mill will need, in the right places.

I would suggest a tilting indexing head with a 4-jaw chuck on it as a minimum investment.

Do you have a good lathe of sufficient capacity to make the basic cutter body shape and shaft? Are you looking to make this an integral shank R8 mount or ?? What material are you planning on using, and are you going to heat-treat it?

I have the machinery and tooling to handle such. Was probably going to go with 4140, as i have made some tools in the past with 4140 as the body, and worked just great. This tool is going to be used as hobby use, so the heat treat wont be to critical, if the correct steel is used from the get go. The R-8 shank on the cutter itself i havent made up my mind about. I like the option of being able to change adapters.

Found a CAD of what i want, and its 3-D Kennametals website offers CAD of there stuff.