585,578 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Ball end on shaft?

Ball end on shaft?

I would like to take a 1.25"diameter rod and cut a ball on the end. The shaft would need to be turned down to .25". I can do the drawing fine but I run into a problem or 2 in real world execution. Is there a way I can do this with 1 cutting tool (not a form tool)? If I do have to use a combination of a left hand and a right hand tool, how do I index/locate the tool at the change? I am doing this on a Sherline so depths of cut have to be small and directed towards the chuck. I would also think it would be best to do most of the cutting with the tailstock in place and then maybe a finish pass or 2 to clean up after moving it out of the way. Or what procedure might you use to accomplish this on a lathe (not referring to a ball turner). Thanks

It's doable with one tool which is a grooving tool. Although i simulated it on a difference cad/cam to BC, the name of which i will not mention here as it's not appropriate.

Obviously this is a plunging profile so tool towards the centreline.

With more than one tool and no QC toolpost it would be difficult and is a separate question.

I just had a part to cut that I could not use a conventional (diamond/square/triangular insert on.

I ended up loading tool 19 in the Rough portion of the code and changed the tools measurements as follows

0 radius
    .061 tool width.

then I just used a .061 HSS cutoff blade as my tool. A tool this thin lacked rigidity and had to be relieved a bit on each side to allow slight side cutting. Still it would go down into .100 wide grooves that were .81 deep and would cut all my other geometry.

I could not find an insert tool that I had that would cut all the features on this part.

I think you might try the same thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails path.jpg  
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan