584,866 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Which Cam Software Is The Most Capable?

Which Cam Software Is The Most Capable?

HELLO ALL, I am about to purchase my CAM software and I was wondering which way I should go.
    I just finished school and there I used mastercam v8.1.1. my boss wants to know which package I want, and I had told him mc9, which will run about 6.5k from our dist.
    I have been very happy with master cam, however in surfing around I have noticed alot of people seem to think that it is dated and overpriced.

NOW LET ME STATE....NO PISSING CONTESTS.....

All I want is honest opinions about which software is both most capable and easiest to use. I am very comfortable with mc8 and autocad. (I still do all my drafting in autocad, mainly because I've been using it since the 9th grade back before the release numbers made it into double digits :idea: )

I have been a draftsman for years and mainly got into cnc as a hobby, but a local shop came around looking for an all in one man right as I was graduating from a cnc course and offered me to much to turn down.

also I am running a hass sl-30 w/ bar feeder an old mazak v-5 and (if the camsoft retrofit goes well :fingers crossed: ) a 4 axis 12 ton monarch

wild01,
    There is tons of software out there. Mostly there are factors that will lead you to what type of package you want. I have been running pro engineering and pro manufacturing for over five years and even at a company the size of ours it is overkill about half the time. I has nice features and a big price tag to go with it. I know a guy that uses auto cad with the old digitizer board and bobcad. He has a Kia with live tooling and he makes it work fine. Any of you guys with the lowered honda trick stuff use his parts. I am getting a copy of mastercam to use at my home with solid works and I will be able to make just about anything. I would look at three d stuff as that that is the future. Mastercam, Gibbs, and alot others out there. If you are like a lot of these hobby guys then it is overkill as well. Most of these guys use low cost software and do some trick stuff. Don't let the sales guys give you the dog and pony show. Give them a part and tell them to model and produce it at you shop site unseen. Most of those bone heads will not be able to do it. When you find a software that fits your needs and support people that know what they are doing then buy the software. I been in your shoes a few times over the last 10 years. It is still better than programming by hand which I did for another 10 years before that.

Add OneCNC Mill Expert to your decision process. Same ballpark in price to what you mentioned in this post for MC.

It has Hybrid 3D modeling capabilities and has all the toolpaths you will ever need and is very easy to learn/use.

They will be releasing 4 and 5 axis modules in the near future as well, with many other enhancements in the next release.

Oh...and visit their site and check out the videos that are available for a little taste of what it is capable of.

Chris

If you're comfortable with Mastercam, stick with it. It's more powerful than all the competition I've seen in that price range, as well as being just as powerful than most that are well OVER Mastercam's price range. Support is excellent, configurability, usability and everything that goes with it are also superb. Of course it does solids, surfacing, and obviously supports 4 and 5 axis very robustly. You have full control of toolpaths, strategies, posts, and many other features that make it hard to find a part Mastercam CANNOT make. (I've never seen a part personally that Mastercam couldn't make)

Another consideration is the very soon to be release of X. If you haven't seen X, you're going to be in for a suprise. Before you make your decision, get ahold of your dealer and have them show you X.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What costs are associated with such software?

(thread question seems incomplete without such info!)

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    What costs are associated with such software?

(thread question seems incomplete without such info!)

Scott

scott reread my post 6.5k=$6,500.00

Yup - saw it, wild01

Once folks aquire their goodies, they often minimize the importance of economy when doing evaluations. For many hobbyists, a freeware package that works pretty good but has a few quirks is far more economical than a $450 package that has no quirks, ya know?

My request was for future 'posters' - not directed at you. Just thought it would help for future readers.

:cheers:

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I like ESPRIT

In general you will find people like the software they learned on, or are comfortable with.

I learned on Mastercam also. When I started here, I was in the same position to buy a software package. I didn't buy mastercam, due to the type of work we do here, and mastercam not supporting it. (4 axis lathe)

I choose Edgecam, and have not regretted it yet. Of course I stopped looking also.

I would suggest you get several demos from various vendors and do as suggested give them your typical part to program in front of you. If the sales guy can't do it, do you think you will be able to when he leaves?

5yrs ago mastercam was not very good at a lathe, things I am sure have changed somewhat or alot.

What is the best today, will probably be taken over by another company tomorrow as competition is at work.

Keep in mind you gotta live with this software while you work there, take your time and make a good decision based on research. I would keep open mind on others, if in end you still like mastercam buy it only after you have seen what else is available.

With respect for the time anyone has already invested in learning any software, I'd say stay with what you know if you are reasonably happy with it, and if it can do what you need to do.
    Personally I'm very happy with OneCNC XR, and a lot of guys that use their software a lot "harder" than I do have actually switched to OneCNC because of its smooth accurate toolpaths, plus 100% Windows compatibility.

Now I haven't spent additional time learning other high end cadcam softwares yet because I don't see the need, and most users of OneCNC agree that it is very straightforward to use, with a minimal learning curve (if you are already familiar with the basics of cad and cam).
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So how much does the low end version of onecnc cost? I think I remember something like 1000.00, is that in the ballpark?
    Halfnutz

Yup, it is in the ballpark for 2-1/2D milling (Express version).

Regards,
    Chris

I"d have to agree with HuFlungDung, stick with what you know. And as far as Rekd mentioned, MCam X is comming soon. But I would recommend not jumping on it just yet. They made quite a leap from 9 to 10. Let them get it in the hands of the masses, get the bugs fixed that their knowledgeable beta testers couldn't find (there are always some that didn't get found), then look into it.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

I love mastercam for milling, but my boss just got a haas sl30 lathe, and I've had some trouble with mc 8.1.1 on lathe. I would appreciate more info on onecnc. i.e price ect.
    We have not yet purchased a seat of our own and for now I am just using the schools copy to test things out. It seems alot harder that mc mill and I have had trouble getting the tool path to update when I change materials. I seem to have to start all my tool paths over in order to get the speeds and feeds to change. I really haven't got much experience with cnc lathe and so if there is an easier to learn/operate program out there I would be very interested in some ballpark pricing info.