585,597 active members*
3,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine/tool Recommendation

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum.

I live in an apartment and I have the occasional need to cut square/rectangle pieces from plastic [no larger than 2-3" x 12"]. Additionally I need to do a few drill holes but they need to be precise.

Can anyone recommend a minimal set of tools for the job? Are there mini drill presses that you recommend for a dremel etc?

Cheers,
    Fuper

fuper, what is your current method for cutting the plastic? is it soft enough to score with a knife or are you sawing it somehow?

Hey thanks for the response. I use a razor blade, score it then snap it. I'm using various plastics as I buy my pieces as scrap from Tap Plastics. Scoring really hurts my hands and I would like more precise cuts.

I was looking at a small bandsaw. Would be useful for cutting thing sheet metal as well?

fuper,
    You will likely lose some accuracy with the bandsaw, and its not the best for cutting sheet metal. A couple economical investments might be getting started with a standard drill press for holes, and a cutting board for the plastic. Some of the art stores still carry the cutting boards which have a razor blade attached to a rail. After you lock the rail in place, they also have a knob to push the blade deeper so you won't hurt your hands cutting. I used to build architecural models that way. I think after you try something like that, you'll have a better idea of which types of machines you're looking for.

how thick is the material? how about a small table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by florida View Post
    fuper,
    You will likely lose some accuracy with the bandsaw, and its not the best for cutting sheet metal. A couple economical investments might be getting started with a standard drill press for holes, and a cutting board for the plastic. Some of the art stores still carry the cutting boards which have a razor blade attached to a rail. After you lock the rail in place, they also have a knob to push the blade deeper so you won't hurt your hands cutting. I used to build architecural models that way. I think after you try something like that, you'll have a better idea of which types of machines you're looking for.
    Drill press totally makes sense. I will go check out these plastic scoring machines. I've heard of em but I've never seen one Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    how thick is the material? how about a small table saw?
    Hi Will.

The material thickness of the plastic is under a 1/4" I never deal with a piece more than 12" square. I live in an apartment so my project sizes reflect my available space

The sheet metal I'm using is just standard stuff you can get from home depot. I can bend it by hand but need tin snips to cut it. Not sure of the gauge.