584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > 3D foamy airplanes cut with the CNC
Page 3 of 3 123
    Would you want to share the cnc files? If so I have a few to share also.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmike View Post
    Here are some pics of the latest depron foam jobby cut on my cnc.

http://www.3drc.info/3drcdb/viewtopic.php?t=2381

movie link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rTlteMYkPE

Hi, I cant give the cnc files out because I didnt design it, sorry. I just cut them out.

Hi, Put some pics on of the models you have.

Mike

Hey Planecrazy

I have used Cad-Kas forconverting pdfs to dxf,and found that this can convert pdfs,that aide pdfconverter cant do,by far the best freeware i hav found on the net.

The demo version only allowsyou to convert one file at the time,but since most pdf plansare in one fileit doesnt matter.

Youll have to edit themin somekind of cad program anyhow,becausesome of the parts you needmultipleof.

A tip for faster cutting is to join as many possible lines as you can in your cad program.

Sadly not all lines are connected after converting, but take your time.

i just cutout a T-38 talon in 120% size, and it took me about 1 hourtocut,without the lines joined.
    Bet you Ill cut it in 45 min if i joined the lines

Best reg
    Cory

Great, Ill give it a shot. PM me your email addy and Ill send ya a few cut files of the planes I have.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by corydoras View Post
    Hey Planecrazy

I have used Cad-Kas forconverting pdfs to dxf,and found that this can convert pdfs,that aide pdfconverter cant do,by far the best freeware i hav found on the net.

The demo version only allowsyou to convert one file at the time,but since most pdf plansare in one fileit doesnt matter.

Youll have to edit themin somekind of cad program anyhow,becausesome of the parts you needmultipleof.

A tip for faster cutting is to join as many possible lines as you can in your cad program.

Sadly not all lines are connected after converting, but take your time.

i just cutout a T-38 talon in 120% size, and it took me about 1 hourtocut,without the lines joined.
    Bet you Ill cut it in 45 min if i joined the lines

Best reg
    Cory

Hi Steve

I got teh files from you already, the f-15, the miss hydor and the edge, but thanx anyway.

I got a DXF ready for cutting with all the multiple parts (except for all the 12 canopy pieces,, nly have for on the sheet i Think.

i made mine a 120%

Ill send them your way if you are intr?

Best Reg
    Cory

Yes, Please send them to me. Do you still have my email addy if not here it is.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by gregmary View Post
    Last weekend I found some plans on the internet in PDF format for 3D foamy R/C airplanes. I thought it would be great fun to cut them out on the CNC. I have generated some tool paths for a couple of airplanes if anyone is interested.

One is for an F18 Jet and the other is for a Edge.

Greg

Hi Greg, I would really be interested in see what u have done with CNC application for this type of project. My name is Norm and teach at a local high school. I teach TEch Design and use Mastercam, Softplan, etc. I am interested in using CNC milling, and electric planes as a unit of study in my program. Looking at a jet style plane, but must also look at level of difficulty and time restraints. I you could send me some plans or whateveer u have I would certainly appreciate them. Thanks. Norm the doctor.

Cool have you seen my planes? Http://airfoilz.com

First time poster here but have been lurking and learning for a while. Saw this thread and thought I'd jump in with a cnc machine that I've been using with great success. It's kind of new and relatively application specific, but for 3D flat foamies it makes short work of design through finish cut. It's called a phlatprinter (search RCGroups- I'm 66tbird). Its a roller feed with the Z on the Y gantry for a 22x42 cutting area with a 1.5" Z travel. . Sketchup with a Ruby plugin does the code. The kit was put together by another member and offered as kits. My thanks goes out to him and his wife for the work they put into teaching the group that bought units.

I've cut every kind of foam I've put in it no problem using a .125 rotozip grout removal bit in a dremal 200 on low speed. I've made flat patterns that fold into shape, cut hinge lines, plus more.

I've been converting files faster than I can build them and now I want to do hardware packages, which is why I'm over here reading up on another type of machine.

So it's all jfyi.

Hey guys! Long time since I have written...good to be back. I have some DXF plans on my site. I just uploaded the one below. You will find the download is just a tad bit different. It should be a 100% download and cut...there shouldn't be any work you need to do to it.

I also just cut out a swing wing f-14 and will be uploading a "cnc router dxf file" for us guys with cnc to use (permission granted by author

My plane I fly http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/foamyairplane.htm

Here is the file to the latest one below.
    http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/Dxf/tfextreme.dwg

F-14 Tomcat: http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/f-14%20tomcat.htm

They fly and look awesome.

Note: I found my dxf files on my site download as code but dwg seem to work... anyone know why??

taus
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1090177.JPG   P1090181.JPG   P1090184.jpg   P1090185.JPG  

P1090186.JPG  
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

New kidz on the Block

All new concept machine for milling flat foam sheets with free softeware included [PhlatyscripT]

An all new cnc machine you can build yourself from a snap together kit called the Phlatprinter.
    You can read more about it here www.phlatboyz.com

Now you can make your own kits

Check out the www.phlatforum.com lots of cool free plans and ideas to share.
    Come on over and join the new CNC kitting revolution
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cache_383084203.jpg  

Here is my attempt to cut 3d plane out of Depron:
    http://www.cnc4rc.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

Here are couple of other Depron projects:
    Micro Ultimate
    Mini Katana
    Mini EasyStar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cirrus_parts2.jpg   ultimate_finished1.jpg   Katana_ready.jpg   Mini_easystar_cad.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Darren View Post
    Just a quick question for you guys, What bit are you guys using to cut the foam? I have been using a single flute 1/8" bit but I have been having problems with the foam mealting and sticking to the bit. I have tried from 15-30 ipm and it still happens sometimes. using a 1/4" trim router for the spindle I havent tried slowing it down. I also have a dremel multi speed tool i am thinking about making a mount for and using that as it should have enought power to cut thru the foam.

Darren
    I have cut several 6mm Depron foamies out on my Haas VMC using a .050" drill bit (friction cut,more clog prone) or a .125 sintered carbide burr (from hobby shop)spinning at 7500. have to play w/ the feed (20ipm range) to keep from melting but I have had good results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_0321.jpg  

CUTCNC Guest
    the 3D corrugated paper plane mould cut by our cutting machine

Page 3 of 3 123