584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > 3D foamy airplanes cut with the CNC
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob View Post
    I have seen a lot of people use Depron Foam, Ive seen it for mail order, but im not sure what kind of store would have it locally, Maybe someone else will know.
    I think depron maybe the insulation kind you are already using. I will see if I can find the name of the other kind im thinking of.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think depron maybe the insulation kind you are already using. I will see if I can find the name of the other kind im thinking of.

Well maybe it is depron, after looking I believe the other(blue and pink) is fan fold foam.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Well maybe it is depron, after looking I believe the other(blue and pink) is fan fold foam.
    That does look more or less like what I've used, only the stuff I use comes in 3/4, 1, 1.5 2, and I believe 3 inch thicknesses. 2x10 ft sheets. Its sold as insulation I think.

I just looked at it and it says its made by DOW and they call it Extruded Foam Insulation. It also says "Styrofoam".

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/what.htm

Carlo

Man Still no posting of the files for the F-18 or F-15
    Oh well Ill keep checking back
    Steve

If you have PDF files, and if they were created from a cad program to start with i have a comercial program at work to convert PDF to DWG or DXF vector format. Upload files and i can see what i can do with them.

Here is a converted F-15 file

Hope this is what you want. The PDF file was free on the web so I hope I don't make anyone mad by posting it.

Enjoy
    Terry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Joe,
    If you can convert the f-15 Ill owe you bigtime......:rainfro: I have had problems with the converter that I use.
    Thanks Steve

Yoo Hoo, Anyone still there cutting out planes? I am working on the hydroplane and wanted to see if anyone has beat me to it. I am having problems scaleing pdf to dxf and so on. What do you all do?
    Steve

I'd love too

Hi,

I'd love to make the hydoplane and i thought i was going to get my mill going this weekend just gone, but there is something screwy with the gantry of the jgro. i can twist the gantry and make it move. it seems the bearing plates are not as acurate as i would like.......

Anyway once i fix that, i would love to build one of the hydros. Please post your experiances here.
    This is one of the big resons for me making the mill in the first place.

So i can make more fun toy to play with!!!!!!!

CH

Same here. I got tired of cutting out by hand so I built my Router. I am having problems converting the pdf files to dxf and keeping sizes. Still working on that one. If I get it finnished Ill send you a copy.
    Steve

Great!!!!

Hi,

hey thanks.
    THe bloddy mill should be finnished soon. I am going to have to take off the bearing plates and slot the holes. THen i can set the gantry square and adjust the plates to it.
    Turns out my woodworking skills are not as good as i thought..............

But yea, please send me the file when you have got it done. I had a look at the hydro and it looks like fun. Fantastic Idea too.

CH

If you guys want more foamy plans you can check out my forums at www.rchelimasters.com Go to the electric foamies section, there are a lot of plans in there. You must be registered to download the files!!

Hey Guys, I I have converted the plans for the Miss Hanger one Hydro boat/plane. Not sure if I would get into trouble if I posted them here. The guy who made these plans was selling them out of Cali and went out of buisness leaving a few of us hanging with no boats or money. He posted the plans when he first started selling the laser cut kits for free on his website. So if they were free to cut by hand then whos to say we can not cut them by cnc. If i will not get into trouble by the admin of the site then let me know. I have been cutting these out for a few weeks for christmas presents.
    Pm me Steve

planekrazie,

What format diid you convert the Miss Hanger One plans to? I tried to by one of those kits awhile back and never got a reply from the builder. I'd like to get a copy of the convertion from you, so PM me a copy if you can. I did download the plan at one time, but never got around to scaling and converting it to CNC code. It might be fun to build a couple as it were considered one of the better flying hydo designs.
    --Colin--
    www.bdmodeling.com

Hey Steve I have a horizontal mill now and I am getting a brigeport varible speed j head mill tomorrow! Now all I need is a metal lathe. I am looking for a 10-12 inch lathe if you see one.

The reason you didnot get a reply from Red is because he took a lot of money from us RCers. I was out 2 kits. I took it on my self to convert his plans to cut out my own. Its is still the best hydro on the net. I wish he never went out. Well if he didnt then I would not have converted his plans. I also have the g-code for this hydro as well. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=560468&pp=25 It like the Regular hydro are not for a new flyer. The origional MHO is great to run on water if you dont want to fly. PM me your email addy.
    Steve
    QUOTE=--colin--;224120]planekrazie,

What format diid you convert the Miss Hanger One plans to? I tried to by one of those kits awhile back and never got a reply from the builder. I'd like to get a copy of the convertion from you, so PM me a copy if you can. I did download the plan at one time, but never got around to scaling and converting it to CNC code. It might be fun to build a couple as it were considered one of the better flying hydo designs.[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome. If you run out of end mills let me know. we have shelves and shelves of new and used endmills at work. I think I am the only one who uses them and I am not even maintnance. By the way, If you know anyone who is hireing let me know. This 7 days a week is getting old. I think I might have to make my new home address my jobs address lol. All I want for Christmas is a 5 day a week job with at least 40 hrs :rainfro:
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Aksess View Post
    Hey Steve I have a horizontal mill now and I am getting a brigeport varible speed j head mill tomorrow! Now all I need is a metal lathe. I am looking for a 10-12 inch lathe if you see one.

Texas Hydraulics ask for Rod Taylor or Southern hydraulics ask for Tim Dixion or Chris Whitted. Do you like working on motorcycles adn 4 wheelers if so go to joe blows powersports in the old lawn and leisure building. He needs a mechanic.

Here are some pics of the latest depron foam jobby cut on my cnc.

http://www.3drc.info/3drcdb/viewtopic.php?t=2381

movie link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rTlteMYkPE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shocky1_105.jpg   2_487.jpg   11_134.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 123