585,722 active members*
4,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Travel is not on exact distance

Travel is not on exact distance

Well, I decided with all the backlash threads that come up recently, I wanted to actually check mine. I have had all 1's in there since I had the machine, and that was based on what was already there when I got it. Being that is only .0001, I figured that cannot cause much issue even if it was wrong.

So I get this 6x4 block mounted in the center of the table. I square it up nice and straight on all sides.

I put a dial indicator on one side and zero. Z up and move exactly 6.0 in X, but the indicator is showing that I am .050 off.. I am thinking i would see .050 in my circle pocketing if it was really off .050... So, I try Y on the 4 inch side. Same thing, I zero it and move 4.0 and it is off .050 also.

Ok, so I travel back to my Zero point.. it is prefect on zero. So, I can go from the zero point, travel 6 inch in the X, be .050 off, go back to the zero point and it is zero. Does the exact same thing in Y side at 4.0

Well, I decided to set all the BL to 1=0,0,0 2=0,0,0 ... Just to see if there is a change in the readings. Nope, it is still showing .050 in both directions.

Ok, so I measured the layout/squaring block and it is exactly 6x4 as it should be.

What could be wrong that when I travel in X or Y I am .050 off? I guess since it is .050 in both directions, my circle pocketing comes out ok. I have noticed that when I zero on one side of a part, my pocket is off on the other side, but I just thought maybe the part had a miscast-ed hole in it.

Did you take into account the diameter of the ball on your indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by Excelmachine View Post
    Did you take into account the diameter of the ball on your indicator?

dang. that ball is really small, but not a point. I never even thought of that on that tool. Of course if it was my wiggler, I take into account of it for .200

ok,,, I just edit here.

I just went back out there and stand there and look at what you indicated about the tip. The centerline is zero on the edge of the block, and Z is zero. I raise up the indicator, and I move exactly 6.0, and I am Z down back to zero on it, I am putting the same zero centerline on the other side of the block, but it is showing .050 off.

now if I was zero at the CENTER of the block, and I traveled 3.025 to one edge, and 3.025 to the other edge, that would be having to take into account of the ball.

|......................................|
    |......................................|
    |.)|---------6.0----------|(.|

its the same on both sides as long as I ZERO on one of the sides and not the middle.

Are you using a dial test indicator to try to measure the block? If so, you might gain some insight from this other forum's discussion: Why inconsistent dial test indicator readings - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web