585,715 active members*
4,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Raising up a vise

Hi all; I have a pair of 8" Kurt-style vises that I need to raise vertically around 3 or 4". This is a really silly question, but what's an in-expensive way to do that? I've not really found anything cheaper than about $50 an inch of height - 12 x 12" plate steel in that case. Accuracy is not much of a problem in this case so it doesn't need to be a super flat material. It needs to be something that can handle coolant and be there for a reasonably long time. Any suggestions? I was shocked to find that it would be so expensive to lift the vises. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

You don't need to have a completely solid chunk of steel under the entire area of the vise. Just spacers about 1-1/2" dia under each bolt (or clamp) location.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

a quick and easy would be to get a length of rectangle tube of 1/4" wall and put slots in it for vise keys and put holes in other side to key it with pins to align it to table. If need you can mill sides flat for a little bit better lay. Or buy some 2x4x6 blocks.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

It would really depend upon what you're doing and how large an area you're machining in the throat opening. If it's some light detail milling and some drilling then you really don't need much under the vise. As the other posted suggested, some risers that are 2" OD will handle drilling just fine. If you're milling, taking some fairly heavy cuts then the vibration may be too much for the reduced contact area of a 2" riser. You'll need more contat area to transmit the vibes to the table. At some point, more contact area will not help because you're machining too far up off the table. Without knowing the particulars it's difficult to advise what will help you best per dollar spent. Mass helps, but will not overcome the limitations of dull tooling, too large a cut, or excessive play in the machine ways. Vague questions generate generic answers.

246's are super handy to have around, and as mentioned would do the trick.

Enco or someone will have them on sale sometime soon if they don't already.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Why not mount it on a slice of RSJ (universal joist) ibeam or whatever. Or weld up a weldment

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

I've used those chinese 2-4-6 blocks, although when they are on sale, it costs more to ship them than it does to buy them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
    I've used those chinese 2-4-6 blocks, although when they are on sale, it costs more to ship them than it does to buy them!!!
    ROFL!

That's why we like Enco's free shipping.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html