585,933 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Noise in a Haas

Hello , I have a HAAS VF1_D (10k spindle, no gear box ) model with around 4000 hours on the spindle. The spindle runs very quiet threw all RPMS Just had the main spindle motor rebuilt due to the bearings going out.
    Ok machine has been running fine for the last year however when you are doing a pocket cut ( in steel) and you start to get in deep with the cutter and get to the outer edge of the pocket and start to grind some chips you will hear a loud grinding noise coming from the shroud area of the spindle . The noise only happens when you start cutting chips. I have tried different tool paths, step over, depth of cut, 2 or 4 flute cutters and positioning my coolant to flush out chip better. However you can only minimize some with this, it's still very noticeable . The finishes still looks great and the machine is holding good tolerance. I just don't recall hearing this noise on any other VMC I have ran in our shop ( all HAAS). Is this something I should be worried about ? If so any ideas of what it might be ?

It's a good thing you don't have any Fadals...

Perhaps it is just something loose from being rebuilt like some sheetmetal not getting bolted down all the way? Cutting chips is super hard for not only tooling, but the machine as well, and since Haas isn't known for being the most rigid tool, any type of hard machining like that will bring out the gremlins.

Hopefully it isn't out of alignment or moving under those heavy cuts.
    Tim

Definitely check the sheet metal. Also, I was unaware that Haas ever sold a 10000000 RPM spindle, haha.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    Definitely check the sheet metal. Also, I was unaware that Haas ever sold a 10000000 RPM spindle, haha.
    Yea I would not want face stuck to the glass while that was running.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    It's a good thing you don't have any Fadals...

Perhaps it is just something loose from being rebuilt like some sheetmetal not getting bolted down all the way? Cutting chips is super hard for not only tooling, but the machine as well, and since Haas isn't known for being the most rigid tool, any type of hard machining like that will bring out the gremlins.

Hopefully it isn't out of alignment or moving under those heavy cuts.
    Yea it sounds like there something loose , sheet metal or something. Just getting our mechanic to look at it is like getting our government to stop spending our money .