585,589 active members*
2,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 18i MB Host Set-up

Hello:

I am trying to establish a lan Connection between my CAD/CAM workstation
    and my machining center. The machining center is a Bridgeport VMC800-XP2 with a Fanuc 18i MB control. The machine has an embedded ethernet port in the back as well as the PCMCIA card slot beside the monitor. I have been following the directions in the manual but I can't seem to edit the host IP address. The machine responds with a 'write protected' message. I tried to edit it in MDI mode as the manual suggests as well as in the edit mode but to no avail. I know the lan works because I connected it to a nearby PC and was able to communicate with it. I expect I need to find the parameter file and un-write protect it before I can change it. Can anyone help me with this?

Once done, I hope to use Ipswitch WS-FTP to help shuttle files. How do I find the IP address for the Fanuc control?

I'm hoping the drive appears just like any other hard drive on the network. Will I have to configure it as a share drive to do this?

"happy chip making to you": Helmuth

Have you set the Parameter Write= 1 on the Setting page? This allows you to write parameters.

You don't "find" the address for the CNC, you assign it. You can configure up to 3 connections (if you have programs stored on 3 programmer's pc's for example), but usually you set it up for only one.

You won't be able to see the Fanuc from your PC, but you will be able to get a directory of the programs stored in the specified folder on your PC. All program transfers (READ, PUNCH) are initiated from the CNC, and drip feed is not possible through embedded ethernet.

Thank you dcoupar:

That did the trick. It was a challenge finding where to set the write protect parameter. Then I remembered seeing it in under the offset key sequence. Bummer though. It still isn't communicating. Guess I'll keep hacking till I get there.

Best regards: Helmuth

I got these some time ago. Maybe they'll help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank You again dcoupar.

That is totally awesome! I'll try it in the morning.

Have a great weekend.

Two things missing in that PDF file....your PC must have file & printer sharing installed, and the folder you use for the programs must be shared on the network.

Helmuth
    I believe this is a fanuc option on your option parameters but you will need Fanuc to change it because the MB machines are password protected. If the option was turned on then you should be able to configure it.

Question on this subject

We have a fast ethernet board on our machine, do I set it up the same way but hit BOARD instead of EMBEDD for the soft key? I followed the steps this way and when I got to upload a program to the control I get a DISPLAY ERROR.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Brian

Hello Brian:

I never got the Fanuc to communicate with the pc that I generate the g-code files on. I don't know for sure if the ethernet port is disfunctional, if the problem is with my router, or if it is in the pc set-up. Take note though that the parameter changes a lot. With it set to 4, the options for the softkeys in the setup ar quite different from when it is set to 9. It almost appears like one is working on a different machine entirely. I reset the parameter to read the PCMCIA memory card and I simply read/write to it instead.

The Fanuc files are exceptionally compact so they don't use a lot of space anyway. I use a Scandisk PCMCIA adapter with 256 and/or 512 mb flash memory cards. I have about 30 programs plus a back-up of the parameter files on one of the 512 mb cards and use only about 0.1% of its capacity.

Good luck with your set-up. Let me know how you resolve it. The PCMCIA serves me for now but the ethernet would be a lot better.

I can ping the control from the PC side and see it and I can ping the PC from the control side and see it as well.

Thanks.

Hello Brian:

You have gotten farther than I did. However, I was told not to expect to see a directory listing as if I were communicating between PCs. I bought a copy of WS-FTP for a different purpose but hoped it would simplify transferring to and from the Fanuc as well. How are you intending to transfer files?

Quote Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
    Hello Brian:

You have gotten farther than I did. However, I was told not to expect to see a directory listing as if I were communicating between PCs. I bought a copy of WS-FTP for a different purpose but hoped it would simplify transferring to and from the Fanuc as well. How are you intending to transfer files?

We do not expect to see a directory listing. We actually have other machines that we run files to all the time with no trouble. But for some reason this control is giving us a problem. We usually input an nc program from the program screen.

cnc in EDIT
    pres hard key PROG
    soft ket OPRT
    right arrow to READ
    enter the O number of the NC number
    soft key EXEC
    INPUT should be blinking in lower right.:boxing:

This was money Thanks