585,925 active members*
3,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY router Atc

I have seen many solutions for mills but not many for router application.

Here is what I found for router.
    1.Midwest Rapid Tool moded PC router
    can not be serviced by DIYer, if you need to replace router you stuck

2.Avenger ATC Spindles
    nicely made but pricey, I do like concept of it, not industry standard tool holders

3.USOVO.de - Werkzeugwechsler fr KRESS FME-Modelle ! Neue Version! WZWKRESSFME
    same principle as Avenger, weak spindle, I would like to find out who is manufacturer.

What I was thinking since I wrote auto tool zeroing etc and it woks nicely I would like to take it to next level. I do have ideas what I want to do with Mach 3 add screens, scripts etc to accomodate for ATC and all tools to auto zero as well.
    I do like idea/concept what Blurry Customs had done but for that price you can buy decent electro spindle and VFD. DIYer most of the time has regular job and works on his stuff after work and weekends, lets say router bearing goes out or router needs repalacing.
    We will go to Lowes or HD and pick up another one. Drop it in machine off we go with our job. Servicing: I keep spare brush set and lower bearing and if needed I can replace it in 30 min, this would be nice if bearings need raplacing in cartrige ATC so we can do service as well. Price: this a important subject, as DIYer most likely build his own CNC router cost is of an essence and spending 2-3K on ATC does not make sense. So yes I am looking for cost effective solution and I do know tool holders still cost money. Use of industry standard tool holders is a must!

Does anyone have any ideas, ready manufactured grippers, drawbars etc maybe way to go.

Typically in my mind.. A real spindle isn't really serviciable anyway (ie if i needed new bearings in my ekstrom carlson spindle I should send it to them) so not sure of the argument of userserviciable comes in to much.

I think alot of people (includeing me) are just going the route of multiple z axis spindles rather then having an ATC. My next machine will have mounts for 2 spindles but not sure when the second spot will be occupied with a spindle..hehe

I have tool holders for my CNC bridgeport. I can set up multiple tools for a job and feed them to it through the run (so part way to ATC). I think I would like that for the routermill but for what I cut on it I don't find my self having more then a couple different tools per a given job (in most cases)...

b.

Typically spindles are not serviceable by end user. True.
    If I payed 5K for spindle would I risk and service it my self no.
    If I could afford spending that kind of money I would not have problem paying if it was not warranty issue.

Is router bearing serviceable by DIYer? Sure.
    Same principle. That is what I had in mind.