585,743 active members*
4,887 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bevel inner edges

Using my mini mill..
    Is there an easy way to bevel the inner edges of the opening in the front plate below, so that each bevel meets the 90 degree bevel to it with a 45 degree line? (In the corner)

Sieg SX2, 500 watt brushless motor, Belt Driven. 3 MT

Well, the options are: -

1. A 45 degree angle plate to mount the component in the four orientations required to mill the chamfer using the bottom of the cutter. An accurate set-up and toolpath would be required for a perfect blend.

2. Mill the chamfer using a 90deg inclusive slotdrill. This would leave cone in the corners which would need to be filed out by hand.

3. Z-Level machine the chamfer with a small ball-nose cutter. Filing would still be required to get the corners sharp.

4. A combination of the above.

5. File the chamfer from scratch.

Whether any of those methods seem easy or suitable will depend on the finish you require, your machining accuracy and your patience/skill with a file.

DP

Hang on, had another thought...

I've never actually tried this, but if you had the 90 degree inclusive slotdrill and it was ground to a point, would the desired effect be achievable if at each corner position the cutter point was moved simultaneously in all three axes from the inside contour to the top corner face? Anyone done it?

It seems possible (in my mind, anyway). Finish may not be too clever though - you would still end up filing it

DP

use a 90 degree chamfer mill.

Thanks for your replys..

Looks like the only way for me to get a 90 degree chamfer mill is ebay from the US..
    Cant find them over here in the UK
    Cheers
    Sieg SX2, 500 watt brushless motor, Belt Driven. 3 MT

45 deg. (90 deg. inclusive) single lip cutter using 3-axis method above. AKA "cherrying" or something like that?????????

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by christinandavid View Post
    Hang on, had another thought...

I've never actually tried this, but if you had the 90 degree inclusive slotdrill and it was ground to a point, would the desired effect be achievable if at each corner position the cutter point was moved simultaneously in all three axes from the inside contour to the top corner face? Anyone done it?

DP
    I use the Engraving tool path in Mastercam x3... if you use the "cut geometry on top" option it will generate z moves in the corners that follow the bevel up. You do need to make sure the tool is described correctly in mastercam But this is the easiest way i have found to machine this type of feature. It takes a little bit of trial and error ot figure out what containment geo you need to add but once you have that its pretty easy.

Hennessy