585,762 active members*
4,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > power supply to choose for 5 phase steppers??

power supply to choose for 5 phase steppers??

Hello people.
    I have 4 savaged 5 phase motors.
    They are all the same, labeled Vexta A4208-9215K
    Specs are DC 2 amp, 0.5 Ohm

I tend to guess they are 2 amps per phase.
    2 amp per phase x 5 phase = 10 amps!!

The question is: for half step driving (where 4 phases are energized at all times) should i think about a 8 amp power consumption for every one of the dam things??? 10 amps to be shure???
    It is the right count?

Before you ask:
    I already manage to drive 1 motor using a scanner power supply, but small (24 volts, 2.5 amps) and the result is lovely: Great torque, low resonance, 1000 steps per turn!!!!
    So im shure the driver is ok and working, but may be is able to do more.
    The board have sensing resistors, and by the Si-7502 schematic i have, those are there to maintain the current to a maximum of 2 amps...per phase???

Please help me! This thing is driving mi nuts!

So, anyone?
    Maybe the questions are not clear enough:

1. I should guess that "dc 2A" means "Direct current 2 amperes"; But it talk about the current for each phase? or the total amount?
    2. What should be the way to know required amps for this guys? There is any equation? I now that in half step, 4 phases are energized at the same time, right?

So far i was sucesfull on making them work at 2.5 amp TOTAL, and they are lovely: smoot, silent and acceptable torque.
    But i think they are able to do more than that.
    Sorry about my english.

Quote Originally Posted by patriciooholegu View Post
    So, anyone?
    Maybe the questions are not clear enough:

1. I should guess that "dc 2A" means "Direct current 2 amperes"; But it talk about the current for each phase? or the total amount?
    2. What should be the way to know required amps for this guys? There is any equation? I now that in half step, 4 phases are energized at the same time, right?

So far i was sucesfull on making them work at 2.5 amp TOTAL, and they are lovely: smoot, silent and acceptable torque.
    But i think they are able to do more than that.
    Sorry about my english.
    The drive should be set at 2 amps max or motor may overheat. I believe the total amps are divided between the different coils. That said it does not hurt to oversize the power supply because the stepper drive should control the amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by jschmitt View Post
    The drive should be set at 2 amps max or motor may overheat. I believe the total amps are divided between the different coils. That said it does not hurt to oversize the power supply because the stepper drive should control the amperage.
    Thank for the answer jschmitt.
    The driver is already set to max 2 amps : There are 2-1 Ohm resistors, set in parallel, so they give 0.5 Ohm.
    In the SI7502 Schematic it suggest this value for 2 amp max current (But total or for each phase?)

The main IC is SI7501, but never found any datasheet (I read that SI7502 is the replacement for mine, so should be the same).

The motors are from a Ricoh copier machine, and i dont now what model, because i bough them already savaged. It will be great to now THE EXACT MODEL OF COPIER MACHINE, and maybe i get one to take the power supply.