585,741 active members*
5,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam X5.Anybody tried it yet?

Mastercam X5.Anybody tried it yet?

Hello people.I,m downloading the X5 update now.Just wondering if anyone had tried it yet and looking for feedback before installing it.
    I have Mastercam X4 mu3 with router level1,solids and the art module.Looking to upgrade to level 3 sometime in 2011...
    Thank you all for your input in advance.:cheers:
    Nastyzen

I've been playing with X5 Mill for a few hours now. I don't see any huge changes in my normal use, but it does look a little easier to adjust the WCS to match some geometry. I'm not too experienced with using multiple WCS in a single file, but if it makes it easier for me to see what the heck I'm doing, then I'll keep trying this.

The machine simulation is kind of neat, but not too practical for my simple needs. I could see it being very useful for 4- or 5-axis milling. It seems kind of unfinished though (to me)

Did you have to uninstall x4 to put in x5?Or can you have both versions on one pc? Im done downloading x5 and all the add ons now,just need to read up on all the instructions to install safely.X4 runs fine now,I'd hate to mess it up with the newer version.
    X5 sure looks good I can't wait to try it.I like what your saying about wcs being a little more user friendly.I've had MC for a year now and feel more comfortable each time I use it.But it will take me years to master it completely.Being a welder I'm finding the learning curve a bit challenging MC is so vast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyzen View Post
    Did you have to uninstall x4 to put in x5?Or can you have both versions on one pc? Im done downloading x5 and all the add ons now,just need to read up on all the instructions to install safely.X4 runs fine now,I'd hate to mess it up with the newer version.
    X5 sure looks good I can't wait to try it.I like what your saying about wcs being a little more user friendly.I've had MC for a year now and feel more comfortable each time I use it.But it will take me years to master it completely.Being a welder I'm finding the learning curve a bit challenging MC is so vast.
    you should be able to run them both on the same machine. X5 installs in a completely different location from what I can tell

The big improvements are in the 2D HSToolpaths and 3D HSToolpaths. Been using it for a while. Some cool stuff. You wont have any trouble going from X4 to X5. The interface is very consistent.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Also you will notice in your solids if you get solids from say Solidworks that they will come in as a the color that they were made in solidworks even different faces now will be different colors. more options when making solids.
    Also what Mike stated the new extra 2D HSToolpaths work well.the interface for Milty axis has changed but I feel for the better.
    It is a stable release I suggest installing it and using it I have been cutting parts for months with it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Installed it last night and played with it a while.It went very smoothly to my surprise.I like the new tool paths even in art.I noticed the different color with solids,cool stuff in there to follow up on.Now I have to get the time to study the transition part of it and setup my settings from scratch to really get going.
    Many non cnc jobs lately and I don't get to play with mc nearly as much as I should to keep it fresh in my mind.But I got MC for the long run and I intend to learn it to death..then get level 3.
    Being a welder Fabricaor,self taught(machiner)(noob cncer)what specific book ,literature, tutorials would one recommend with the modules I now have?The thing I'm having the most trouble to grasp is the WSC and Gview.

Btw,I use MC for my 3axis Mighty Comet mill.I also have a 2axis lathe that I mainly program manually and sometimes post to using EZ-cam when the parts are a little to curvy for my programing skills.
    3 years ago when I got the equipment I didn't even have a clue as to how to even to turn em on! LoL(chair)

Thank's guys

The thing I'm having the most trouble to grasp is the WSC and Gview.

Here you go, scroll down to the WCS Videos

Thank's Derek,Those are gonna help!

Has anyone noticed how at startup in art ,there is no(art) button between the screen and settings buttons untill you click on one or the other and then it pops up out of nowhere.LoL
    Using art takes lots of Ram,does anyone know the procedure to turn on the 3G switch in XP?
    Thank's:cheers:
    Nasty

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyzen View Post
    Has anyone noticed how at startup in art ,there is no(art) button between the screen and settings buttons untill you click on one or the other and then it pops up out of nowhere.LoL
    Using art takes lots of Ram,does anyone know the procedure to turn on the 3G switch in XP?
    Thank's:cheers:
    Nasty
    Not sure what you are seeing as when I start Mastercam my Art button option is there on all my box's. Something is not right on your side..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Well the tech.person at my reseller has the same anomaly so it is not only on my side,it's on our side.Frankly it works,so I don't really care.It's strange that's all.
    Hopefully there are no (serious glitches in X5)LoL.
    Going back a few posts I was looking for advice on some literature.I ordered the Mill X5 level 1 pro. and X5 art books.I,m assuming that's a good start?

X5 IS WORKING GOOD
    IT'S HAVE MACHINE SIMUALATION TOOLBAR TRY IT[IMG][/IMG]