585,722 active members*
4,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNCFusion lathe video & pics

Hi all, I posted a video of the lathe kit in motion on youtube for those interested. Here is a link....

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c42c_6o4XU"]YouTube - 7x14 lathe CNC kit[/nomedia]

It's been a long road for us to get the lathe kits ready. They will be available around Thanksgiving. Introductory price is $549.

Also took a few pics with steppers attached. I believe the X stepper is only 156oz.... and is plenty of torque combined with the Thompson leadscrew.

Click on images for larger view.

www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Looks neat !
    does this kit comes with indexer for Spindle for threads?

Quote Originally Posted by aliazhar97 View Post
    Looks neat !
    does this kit comes with indexer for Spindle for threads?
    I'm fairly confident the answer is no.
    With the variety of electronics and control systems out there, cncfusion is probably wise to leave this to the customer.

Nice looking kit, very tidy.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I'm fairly confident the answer is no.
    With the variety of electronics and control systems out there, cncfusion is probably wise to leave this to the customer.
    for electronics, yes, i agree....but, my question was for the mechanical part of it....for some kind of machined attachment on the spindle...

Why is the lathe backwards? Headstock should be on the left?
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by aliazhar97 View Post
    for electronics, yes, i agree....but, my question was for the mechanical part of it....for some kind of machined attachment on the spindle...
    Yeah, I was thinking that some users would want a single pulse/rev and others more. On second thought, maybe some type of universal optical disk could be supplied ?? For example, the user blocks off unwanted holes or drills extra holes as needed ? Looking around the forums shows a number of different approaches to tracking the spindle..
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Why is the lathe backwards? Headstock should be on the left?
    I'll have whatever he's smoking

Bill, are you ok?

Dave
    Dave->..

its a right handed lathe

Thanks for the comments guys. Some of the photos/video are taken from the back of the lathe. The last photo is the lathe from the front.

CNC4PC has a spindle encoder HERE that would work for reading the spindle. Fabbing a disc should be pretty easy. If we add it to the kit it would just increase the cost, and nobody wants that!

One thing I think would be useful is a solid mounting block to replace the compound, making for a more rigid setup.

One neat thing is i am pretty sure the kit will also fit the 9x20 series lathes just by adding longer screws. I'll be testing that theory out shortly.

cheers,
    Michael
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Quote Originally Posted by wisp View Post

CNC4PC has a spindle encoder HERE that would work for reading the spindle. Fabbing a disc should be pretty easy. If we add it to the kit it would just increase the cost, and nobody wants that!
    Make sure if you order an encoder from CNC4PC that you specify if you'll be using it with a G540, as they sell 2 different revisions of this encoder.
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>