585,969 active members*
4,636 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Quiet Woodworking router or spindle?

I have been using a 3hp porter cable router for my larger spindle and a 1/4" porter cable laminate trimmer for the smaller stuff...as spindles of course..

The issue is now noise, which is starting to drive me crazy now that the "new" has worn off of my CNC mill.

Can anybody tell me either how to quiet down the routers I have or where to find a quiet spindle or router? Is it possible to change out the bearings in the routers to perhaps a more precise and better and/or quieter bearings?

I'm open for almost anything but I really dont want to mortgage the shop to buy a spindle. Any suggestions are welcome !

Thanks,
    Ken

Hey Ken,

Long time no talk!

The basic problem with router noise is to do with the motors moreso than the bearings. Same noisy universal motorthat's in my chop saw (that nearly deafens me if I use it without ear protection).

Spindle motors are quiet. The 10HP motor on the Fadal is quieter than even the quietest cutting noise. The best prices to be had on spindles worth having are from Keling and LoveHappyShopping on eBay. They both have happy customers.

Home
    spindle items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

Thanks for the reply!

I have been looking at some of the older threads on "quiet spindles" and most of them are so old that the links they contain and pictures they refer to are bad or missing.

I have looked at the "happyshopping" pages and they look like a good bargain.

Thanks again!!
    Ken

PS, I pulled the trigger and bought a 3KW air cooled spindle and matching controller today as well as a full set of ER20 collets. Thanks again for the help!

Dear Ken,

I am also looking for similar 1.5 and 2.2 Kw spindles.

Would you please share your opinion on quality of the spindles once you receive and use them?

Thanks.

I would be glad to! I got confirmation that they have shipped it as of yesterday and should get it in sometime early next week. It will take a few days to run a 220 volt power supply over to the CNC table to run it, but after that I have several projects that I am wanting to do.

Just a note to say that the spindle and controller arrived this morning and appears to be of good quality. 10 days for shipping (DHL) from Beijing China wasnt bad. Be prepared that shipping was $160 if you plan on ordering one of these. Even with that much for shipping, it is still a bargain if it works well.

The spindle came with what appears to be a .250 ER20 collet, however I had purchased a full set of ER20 collets from another company so I am good to go. I wont get started installing this until mid-december due to other commitments, but as soon as it is up and running I will update the thread.

anxiously waiting

I also plan on ordering one of those, but need confirmation about performance before investing. I will wait for your comments. Good luck.

Dear Ken,

Thanks for updating. I am eagerly waiting for you to power it up. Please let us know all the details like main shaft run out, noise level at full rpm etc., so we can decide for ourselves.

I bought the spindle, but then got busy with other projects and never hooked it up. Now that I have it installed, I have no idea how to actually operate this spindle. Anybody have one of these that can help me get it running? I'm willing to pay for your time.

Ok, with the help of Testfly from this forum, I was able to get the spindle up and running. I an *SO* appreciative of the help!

The first thing I have noticed is that the spindle is WAY less noisy than the Porter Cable router that I had been using. The bearings are smooth and there is no vibration at all.

Just to recap, this is a 3kw air cooled spindle from love-happyshopping on bay. When I bought this back in November, the communication was excellent and the shipping was reasonably fast. I got exactly what I had paid for, so everything was all good.

I emailed them back in January to get the wiring diagram and manual for the VFD, and that info was sent in an email in a couple of days.

It has been 4 days since I emailed them again requesting some technical support, and still haven't heard from them. Perhaps they are on vacation?? who knows.

The whole problem I was having had to do with the wiring. The diagram (labeled picture) I had received from them had the ground on the right hand side of the terminal board. The terminal board in my VFD had the ground on the left hand side. I hadn't really paid attention to the terminal letters or numbers, so this was what was causing the error message I was receiving.

Anyway, all is well now and I am up and in business again with a new, quiet spindle. Thanks again to testily for his help!