585,754 active members*
3,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese Lathe Advice

I have been wanting a lathe for sometime. I can't really justify spending a lot of money on one. I have heard good things and bad things about the Harbor Freight type lathes. So I thought I would try and save money to get something better. Now I found a used Chinese lathe and would like to get peoples opinion on it

It is a JET BD 920n. The guy is asking $675.00 for it and the stand. From my research, it appears this is $1500.00 new and the stand is a few hundred more.

Given the limitations of these kinds of lathes, is this a good price to get my feet wet with lathe work?

Thanks

Karl

I bought that model from Jet 18 years ago and have been using it in my business ever since with few problems. It cost me about $1350 if I remember correctly. I think it's a great lathe for the money for any job within it's capability. Make sure all the accessories come with it; 3 and 4 jaw chuck, follower rest, thread cuttings change gears, etc. Regarding limitations, you can't take really deep cuts, but this is true of most any lathe you can carry around the shop.

Check out this site for making tools and mods on this lathe. http://www.bedair.org/9x20.html there are also about 6 other 9x20 sites he has linked to his site. Have fun.

Thanks for comments.

Do you know what the difference is between the N model and the W model?

I have the N model. I looked up the W model and all specs are the same as far as I can determine. Be sure to check those 9x20 sites as well as the handful of yahoo 9x20 sites on the web.:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Karlf View Post
    Thanks for comments.

Do you know what the difference is between the N model and the W model?
    I own the Jet BD9x20 W, I am no expert by any means!!!!!! I am new to the Metal lathe as of the begining of this year, I bought it as my starter lathe....

(that sounds so nice, like I plan to buy another any time soon)

There are a few differences but its pretty much the same lathe.... I have installed a few mods on it to stiffen it up and to make it better for me to use....
    I got the PDFs for rebuilding the 9x20, and tricking out the 9x20, and searched the internet for days and days finding great mods to make this a better lathe.

I don't remember if the "N" version comes with the reverse tumbler but the "W" comes from the factory with it.. both need to be upgraded with the QCTP
    and the 4 bolt compound....

I am planing on the speed control mod this coming year, I am changing the speed a lot and switching belts is time consuming..... as for the harbor frieght model... i spent all (and I mean all) last year 2009 researching that lathe the jet "N" version and other just to find out they are the same lathe different color and maybe a couple different tools. I got the "W" version by accident... NT advertised the "N" version and i went to get it got it home and when i opened it up it was the "W" version...... good for me, no reverse tumbler mod , one less I have to do.....

but it is a good lathe for Me starting out and a great lathe to learn on....

I have pictures up here in another thread.....
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini_l...x20_lathe.html
    Sebashtion H.