585,663 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > FlashCut CNC > Does Flashcut 3 support serial connections to their hardware?

Does Flashcut 3 support serial connections to their hardware?

I inherited a TAIG/Flashcut/BobCAD system.

I have both FC 2.1 & 3. I haven't gotten all the hardware hooked up yet but it appears that FC 3 may not support the serial connection to the controller.

Does anyone have FC 3 working with the serial box?

yes i have a 401A signal generator with flashcut 3, but you have to get a new
    chip to go in it. I think it is 250.00 to 350.00. I cannot remember.

I believe the final release of version 3 does require you to obtain a new main chip from Flashcut. It is simple to swap out and will work out great. There are some very worthy improvements between the old V2 and V3, so I would definitely make the investment.

Though the new USB signal generator allows newer laptops to be "controls", I think it is amazing that Flashcut has been able to continue to improve and add features to the software over the years without forcing you to entirely new hardware. The serial port versions work very well.

If you call Flashcut to inquire, ask too, what the cost difference would be for you to move to the upcoming version 4. The number of new features is staggering. Here are just a few that caught my attention:

Run G-Code file backwards, Ability to jog an axis while G-Code is running, Fiducial correction system (camera part recognition), Branch G-Code based on state of input lines (using IF-THEN blocks), Visual Conversational programming including built in Text Engraving
    (This is an open source feature to allow people to write their own .Net routines)

And as always, it works. None of that "might work" or "under developed" stuff in the program.
    Chris L

Thanks all. I will wait and see what Flashcut has to say.

Smile

What they said is $1500 for a new controller box and another $695 for a 4th axis rotary table minus $650 cash for clunkers for turning in my old controller box.

What I don't understand is my old box (a 401) has a newer microprocessor that was installed when the previous owner upgraded to flashcut 2.1.4. It seems to have a 4th axis. At least it has the A-axis LED on the front panel.

When I actually ran the V3 tutorial, I ran across the selection between serial and USB connections so I guess V3 will support serial connections.

I was advised to set myself up to upgrade to V4 software. The quote they sent me included that software.

I think I'll get everything set up and see what I have and what works before I upgrade.

Thanks again.