585,951 active members*
4,129 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Stepper only turns in one direction

Stepper only turns in one direction

Please Help
    I am switching over from MicroKinetics software, opti board and opti driver. Am setting up tubocnc, slo-syn ss2000 md4 drivers and same steppers (which worked fine with the opti stuff) –Vexta m06 008 (12v .68a).

The problem is the motor will only turn in one direction. Using pin 2 step and 3 direction(set high). When I jog the motor, It turns one way no matter with way I jog. If I pull direction pin wire it turns in the other direction. I tried a 10k dropdown res. No change. Hope someone can help me.
    Thanks in advance

The stepper driver seems to be working ok as when you pull the DIR wire it changes direction.

It looks like something is pulling that wire to ground, like a short. This could be in the wiring itself or it might be in your opti board at the other end of the wire.

You can test with a voltmeter that the output of the opti board changes between 5v and 0v (as it should) when jogging each direction. Disconnect the wire from the opti board first, and if the signal out of the opti board connector does not change you know the fault is in the board.

If the board signal changes ok, but when you reconnect the wire it stops changing, you can assume it's a short in the wiring.

Either way I would go right over the wiring and connections first with no power connected and inspect it, that is the most likely problem.