Quote Originally Posted by Yastron View Post
I'm getting:
65ipm on Y (2 motors)
94ipm on X
~90ipm on Z

I am very new to owning a CNC router and want to improve my machine, could use some advice please.

I want to go faster in the X and Y for cutting foam, can it be as simple as increasing my power supply voltage? I know there are many ways to increase the speed, but upgrading my power supply would be the simplest, biggest bang for my buck right now. However I've been told that since my motors are wired in parallel that doubling my power supply voltage would not help me gain any significant speed, can somebody explain this to me please? I cannot find anything in the forums/internet to confirm this.

Router specs:

4x 556oz Nema23 Stepper Motors, Bipolar parallel, 5.0A rated current, 0.6ohm, 3V, 2.5mH
24V power supply, 12A
4x M542 Leadshine Drivers, 20-50VDC, 4.2A output max (so i'm not fully utilizing the 5A motor? or the possible 48V input?)
AKZ250 USB Controller
1605 C7 ballscrews

If I swapped my power supply from 24 to 48, would I be able to expect a 10%, 50%, or 90% increase in speed?

Thanks in advance.

Its a good idea to always have some safety margin in both voltage and current. Many drivers can handle their rated power for a short time, but continuously may damage them.