585,758 active members*
4,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Homier 03911 lathe - best carbide insert tooling size?

Homier 03911 lathe - best carbide insert tooling size?

Recently purchased this lathe from a friend, manufacturer recommends 5/16" tooling, friend had some 1/4" hss tooling, interested in moving up to 3/8" tooling using TCMT inserts. Wondering if 3/8" tooling would put insert above centerline of workpiece. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by gpk9 View Post
    Recently purchased this lathe from a friend, manufacturer recommends 5/16" tooling, friend had some 1/4" hss tooling, interested in moving up to 3/8" tooling using TCMT inserts. Wondering if 3/8" tooling would put insert above centerline of workpiece. Anyone know?
    3/8" w/qctp is good. With the original turret tool holder, you will probably have to shim to get centered. If the 1/4" tooling required at least 1/8" of shim, you're in the zone. w/qctp, you can run anything up to what the tool holder holds.
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

LittleMachineShop has the Tormach QCTP, which is really nice, I have one on my 7x. Works perfectly with 3/8" tooling. I have the AR Warner set, but you can get toolholders from Shars for a little less, and people seem to give them decent reviews. I decided to splurge for the US-made ones and they are really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by gpk9 View Post
    There is a benefit of using the smaller HSS bits, they are much faster to grind.
    I would not go over the 5/16 size for those Hss bits just for that reason.
    For carbide insert Holders go with the biggest Holder that will get you on center on your Toolholder. Sorry I am not sure if the 1/2" will fit, I think it is close enough for people to just take of a little material from the underside of the holder.