585,722 active members*
4,474 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Interact 1 mk2 spindle motor

I bought an Interact 1 mk2 with a TNC150 a few weeks ago. Declared issues were that neither the spindle nor hand wheel worked.
    The ‘current option plan’ is to find out what is functional and then decide whether to
    a) keep it original – I know nothing about PLC programming, it took me 2 hours to happen upon M03, I’m not sure I can repeat the performance
    b) b) ditch the Heidenhain stuff (PLC and encoders) and find something to talk with the Bosch axis drives and the KTK/MT1-1 ensemble
    c) ditch everything except the iron and whichever motors are serviceable.
    I have spent the last couple of days going through the electrics.
    So far there are two causes for the spindle motor not functioning. One was the broken wire to the brake solenoid thus the spring loaded friction plate would not release. I removed the solenoid and pressure plate asy temporarily.
    The other was the low resistance between field and the thermal overload switch (line 7 wires 222 and 223 for those interested) inside the motor (Sicme Motori brush). A temporary fix of disconnecting the thermal overload switch and the motor seems to run fine together with the KTK and MT1-1. However I will probably take the motor apart to find the cause of the short as it seems a rather strange thing to happen. So before I start, does anyone have any useful information about this motor and/or the thermal overload switch setup inside it?

Richard

Hi Richard,

I don't have any info on the motor for you but I wanted to mention something about the servo's. You can get drivers for them that work with a Mesa card for conversion to EMC and the encoders output sine waves but if you take the encoder control card out of the Heidenhain control (if you poke around you should be able to find the details as one guy did this) it outputs standard signals that you can then just send to the Mesa card.

I really like the machine (I actually have 2) and am planning to convert one of them. It should actually be pretty cheap, just the mesa card and servo interface. Anyway just some thoughts. I have to get one of my spindle motors fixed as it's blowing capacitors on my KTK drive.

Best of luck

Brian

From comments on this board, I think the motor drive is much more problematic than the cnc

The TNC lacks memory for cad related programs, but otherwise is probably superior to most of the 'stuff' people replace it with.

Brian,
    Thanks for the Mesa suggestion, any idea who knows more about the controller card?
    My Z+ command from the joystick doesn’t work but the TNC is getting the 24vdc input form the microswitch (J5/9). It performs REF and M25 ok so I think the input is defective.
    My machine has a quick change ER32 collet holder, it is ground both sides of the 9mm thick flange. They seem to be rare. Do you know of any sources for them?

Gus,
    right, I got the same impression about the drives which is why I’m a bit relieved that this one seems to work ok, so far.
    You may be right about the TNC, but there appears to be no logical learning sequence to the commands in either the Bridgeport manual or anything from Heidenhain. If you can point me to something that tells me which buttons to press, I’ll be right on to it.

joystick may need 2 inputs, center button and + or - so make sure both are enabled.

Most of the time you will find that it is a switch fuse or relay.

Since 1992, my control failures have been:

monitors [ 2 in 3 machines]
    power supply
    video driver chip

that comprises many thousands of machine hours.

my point is that yes, failures happen, but unless either the control does not meet your requirements or you really are looking for a project more than to make chips, keep the control.

be patient, full controls come up on ebay on occasion.

Now if you have both manuals, what commands are you questioning?